Does a hard drive rattle when it blows?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MRWSM, May 12, 2006.

1. MRWSM

MRWSM

I've been using my 2.3 Ghz laptop and noticed by the time it hits around the 6th hour of being on it starts to slow down and the fan turns on. It starts out being a bit faster than my desktop but slows down with heat. I can't see how some people leave it on steady, especially laptops.

#31     May 16, 2006
  2. Banjo

Banjo

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=laptop+cooler

#32     May 16, 2006
  3. MRWSM

MRWSM

Thanks, that's a good idea, the Vantec Lapcool2 looks good with option to use AC. To get an idea how it would work, I put a pretty powerful 4" commercial computer fan I have had for a while behind the laptop so it blows air under the laptop. I immediately notice a big difference. My laptop now is cool to the touch and cool air blows out of the rear exhaust instead of hot air. I will see tomorrow if this helps after 6 hours on.

#33     May 17, 2006
  4. Not necessarily.
    A fault in the electronics part - even a bad plug/cable connection could cause the same.

#34     May 17, 2006
  5. MRWSM

MRWSM

Just that 4 " fan placed behind my laptop blowing air underneath it helped a lot. My laptop still heated up after 5 hours enough to turn the internal fan on a few times and it was blowing warm air out here and there but no where near as hot and no slow down in performance. I think this will extend the life of laptops.

#35     May 17, 2006
  6. MRWSM

MRWSM

Good deal, the hard drive install worked. For $52 I saved the computer from the landfills and have 80 gigs instead of the original 20 gigs. The new Seagate hard drive is very quiet, they improved them a lot. Now I just have to configure my settings and install all my backed up files. BTW I couldn't reach the other two screws on the side of the original hard drive so I just installed the new one in an empty bay and left the old one in the machine.

#36     May 17, 2006
  7. eagle

eagle

To rediscover the hard disk you need to open the box then the hard drive will be there in the box well attached with its cables. :D LOL.

I hope you don't have important data inside it. I used to backup important data in small quantity and stored in my Yahoo mail. The company is making sure the data is not lost. I thank them.

#37     May 17, 2006
  8. MRWSM

MRWSM

I always keep 2 computers updated plus the important stuff on CDRW. So I'm ok with my data. With the advice I got on this board I'm glad I decided to go this route and save the computer. I was ready to put it out on the curb last week.

#38     May 18, 2006