Does a hard drive rattle when it blows?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MRWSM, May 12, 2006.

1. It was the dust.

Dust destroyed my graphics card about 6 or so years ago. There was so much dust, it didn't allowe the fans inside my CPU to spin, I had no idea that dust could collect like that in my computer.

Never had the issue again, but if you never dusted in your computer, or spray some compressed air, that could reduce the life and cause things to become hotter.

I've had my computer running non-stop for the past year and a half now, I only shut it off for 3 weeks over christmas when I went on a cruise, other than that, i reboot it every morning before trading, but it is always on.

No issues.

#21     May 13, 2006
  2. MRWSM

MRWSM

I should probably get in the habit of opening my computers up once a year to vacuum dust out. My laptop might be due soon for it's first dusting.

#22     May 13, 2006
  3. Your lucky, I usually do it every 3 months, I think it's about that time for me to do it now, I need to go out and buy some more compressed air cans.

#23     May 13, 2006
  4. MRWSM

MRWSM

Shooting compressed air helps get dust out for the fans to work but this dust will just be pushed to one side of the inside of your computer. I always blew the outside fan vents regularly but had no idea how much dust was accumulating inside. Isn't it better to open it and vacuum it out? Just wondering.

BTW Here's a site talking about shut down or not.

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/macbasics_leave_your_mac_on_or_shut_it_down/

#24     May 13, 2006
  5. Well ... I have access to the whole computer, and I take off both sides of the case, and blow it all out, I never thought of a vacuum, but it could work. I just do the compress air deal and it works for me.

This is my 1000th post... woohoo!!!

#25     May 14, 2006
  6. MRWSM

MRWSM

When I get the hard drive installed and it is time to install the OS. What is the policy of windows XP. Do they allow installing it once from my newer laptop with XP on to an older computer that crashed? I did this once with Microsoft word, I put the newer version on my old computer so everything is easier to keep backed up. I remember I had to call microsoft and get approval to do it and they allowed it. Just wondering if I can do this with XP.

#26     May 15, 2006
  7. emini500

emini500

you are allowed to install a version of XP a certain amount of times before you have to call the 800 number. Its not a problem and is there for piracy issues. I had to call it a few times because I keep messing up my computer and having to format it. If you have to call them just tell them you formatted your computer and trying to reinstall windows

#27     May 15, 2006
  8. Hahaha, that happened to me, I call those bastards up, tell them I was playing around with Linux, they say they have reason to believe I gave my license to friends and said they wouldn't renew it. *I probably reinstalled Windows 50+ times screwing around with Gentoo and breaking my system*

I'm still using Windows XP though, but I certainly had to resort to other ways to get it working.

Isn't it hilarious how nowadays copy protection is such a hassle for those that actually pay for software, and yet, people that pirate software, don't have to put much effort to get what they want?

Kinda pitiful eh? You pay for something, and you don't actually "OWN" it anymore.

#28     May 15, 2006
  9. MRWSM

MRWSM

They will probably figure out that I installed it on my other computer also. I can't see why they would have a problem with that since it is older. I once had to re-install the OS on my laptop and had to call it in. They have a policy to have you on your computer while entering the really long code. When I did that I also wrote down the code and saved it, so I wonder if that code will also work on my desktop without calling it in. I would hate to go through all that work of installing XP, only to have to start over and install the original OS for my desktop.

#29     May 15, 2006
  10. That clicking sound you here is the head armature seeking, and it is trying to read off the boot sector. What has probably happened is one of the heads on the arm blew up (yes, literally popped) and the drive is stuck trying to seek to a boot sector it cannot read (hence the repeated clicking sound).

You're drive is hosed, amigo.

RoughTrader

#30     May 15, 2006