Does a credit score matter anymore?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by RiceRocket, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Pascal

Pascal

I know quite a few small business owners that have gone out of business due the last 2 year recession. They are not deadbeats, they were victims of the overall economic situation. I imagine many people are in this situation now, so credit scores, on average, for the entrepreneurs and risk takers of society are probably lower than the working class.

You will still judge people on that credit score, knowing the current economic environment?

#21     Oct 13, 2009
  2. maxpi

maxpi

Hee hee, deadbeat.. whatever... what I got out of the CC companies was about a week's income for a real trader and six months income for the typical bill collector so it's all a matter of perspective... those CC companies did a lot of damage to my household over the years, I got even when I got out of work and was too old to get a job...

I'd say that burning your CC lenders for all they are worth is fine if you find yourself exiting the workforce involuntarily with no hope of ever getting another real job, besides in the Obamanation, it's not going to pay to be in the workforce.. and if you are thinking at all you can pile on some more money when you sue the collections people... their typical day consists of doing all sorts of things that a lawyer can nail them for, it's just that the typical defaulter is confused and guilty and what not.. forget that shit, get set up to record telephone calls and move to a new address with no forwards... you can put $100k in your retirement... or you can stay in the chicken coop, paying the minimums, while your savings are depleted, taking phone calls where people demean you all day and wondering if you are really a "deadbeat" or not, LOL.......

I really think traders should not gauge their performance on the spectrum of number of ATR's per day they can grab but where are they on the spectrum of debtor to lender... it's a bigger picture with more of a goal built in really...

#22     Oct 13, 2009
  3. the1

the1

You could not be more wrong. A deadbeat is someone who pays their credit card bill in full each month.

#23     Oct 13, 2009
  4. [​IMG]

#24     Oct 13, 2009
  5. I haven't seen easy credit mentioned in here. Everyone and their dog used to qualify. They dug their own grave by not using proper risk assessment. fuck em'

#25     Oct 13, 2009
  6. The title of this thread is "Does a credit score matter anymore"? I think it does. And certainly lenders, insurance companies, employers, etc will continue to use the credit score as they have in the past. If you're a small business owner, that is going to hurt you. These guys can dig themselves out of their problem, unless of course they are like Maxpi who is busy ripping them off, and figuring out ways to sue them when they try to collect. In the end, things happen, but if you have some character you'll figure out a way to handle it with some honor.

In terms of me, yes, I still use the credit score. It's important to look at it to see how people handle their problems. For instance, if a guy struggled with the bills, but paid his rent, it says something about his priorities. If his only difficulties are recent ones during the economic problem, and he has now corrected the problem, whatever it was, I may look past the credit score. Give me any hint though that the guy is another Maxpi...I want nothing to do with him.

OldTrader

#26     Oct 13, 2009
  7. Yeah, it irks me that I make money taking risks and I cant call a "do over" when it goes against me, but lenders taking risks get stopped out on some bad R:R deals and all of a sudden they are backstopped. If you make money taking risks (say, on debtors), you should be prepared to take your stop and like it! systemic risk my ass, the system is now dead face down in the potomac for the bailouts!

#27     Oct 13, 2009
  8. Honestly, I know that it sounds cool and renegade-ish to say "F My Credit Score," but I've got friends in many credit-intensive industries and people/entities without good credit are getting the door slammed in their face in so many ways. It's just so ill-advised to let your credit deteriorate. You'll need to tap some capital some day, and if your credit sucks...you'll be hit with punitive rates and ridiculous shit like that.

I don't agree with the system, but it's bigger than all of us; so I wouldn't be the one to challenge it and get steam rolled down the road.

#28     Oct 13, 2009
  9. the1

the1

Have you never paid your credit card bill late? Have you never gone over your credit limit? Do you pay the entire statement balance each month? Do you use your rewards card - and collect the rewards? Are your credit rating and your FICO scores rated "excellent?"

Then you, my friend, may be a "deadbeat."

http://ezinearticles.com/?Credit-Ca...-Dead-Beat-and-They-Might-Mean-You&id=2464443

#29     Oct 13, 2009
  10. maxpi

maxpi

Not a good idea for most people, I'd say if you are too old to ever get a real job again, you're house is paid for.. there is not much downside..

#30     Oct 13, 2009