Doctors Ban More Medical Schools.....Greater Number of Students....Protect Incomes...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by libertad, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Right, after 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school and 6 years of specialization. Every experienced nurse will spit in your face if she had to work for $50k.

#51     Nov 11, 2008
  2. clacy

clacy

This might be one of the dumbest things I have read on ET in a long while. That is saying something.

#52     Nov 11, 2008
  3. There lies a big part of the problem, for the doctors to maintain their high income they have to go through more patients than good health practices would dictate. The most successful doctors are many times the worst doctors. A doctor who sees 50 patients a day cannot give the same quality of service as the doctor who sees 25 patients a day yet he makes twice as much for being an inferior doctor.

#53     Nov 11, 2008
  4. clacy

clacy

Lawyers shouldn't make as much as doctors. For the most part, lawyers are a total drain on our economy. I have seen first hand, small business totally drained due to frivolous law suits. In fact, I would definately say that lawyers are more to blame for the high cost of medicine than doctors incomes are.

At least doctors are providing a worth while service. Lawyers are just sucking the blood out of the economy.

#54     Nov 11, 2008
  5. clacy

clacy

I agree to some extent, but how to fix it?? Cut their patient loads in half and do you think medical costs would go up or down?

#55     Nov 11, 2008
  6. Here is the point....

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/108045.php

Notice ...the word is medical liabilities....not garbage collectors...

..................................................................................

So....the amount of money that is involved in medicine is mind boggling......and the US cannot afford it.....

So now what ?

Here is a simple way of looking at it......

What is the actual cost of a visit....this is without insurance costs, and all other nuances.....what is the real bare bones cost....

What % of a visit is due to government regulations, law suits, equipments costs, building costs...etc....

So...what percent of the total could be stripped out.....without actually affecting a simple patient visit ?
    ..................................................................................

Just why is it that the label has to be medicine and not something else in the unfunded liability article....?

...................................................................................

Why is it that MDs have the nicest houses, country clubs, etc..etc... is this not money ?????

Personally....I believe that the removal of legal largesse would go a long way.....and having larger numbers of doctors would go a long way......Better hours.....good pay......more reasonable all around.....

There are lots of articles on the web relating to how the AMA restricts the number of doctors as well....and how they go about it...just put in a few words in Google........you will find them all day long....

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-03-02-doctor-shortage_x.htm

#56     Nov 11, 2008
  7. clacy

clacy

Averages for a sample of specialties in my city (Kansas City):

Family Practice- $162k

Plastic Surgeon- $325k

Cardiologist- $288k

http://www.salary.com/

#57     Nov 11, 2008
  8. Don't know for sure how to fix it, but it's not my job to fix it either so I haven't put too much brain work into what to do. The success ones see too many patients a day. The high number of patients they see may have a bearing on the lawsuits. My personal experience with doctors have generally been not satisfactory with the rich ones and very satisfactory with the middle class earning doctors.

#58     Nov 11, 2008
  9. "doctoring" is big bis not a charity, in case you don't know ;)

docs become docs to make a lot of money, prestige and drive very nice cars.

;)

#59     Nov 11, 2008
  10. rc5781

rc5781

almost all health care costs occur at the end of one's life...

no wonder doctors and hospitals are against the "right to die"...

#60     Nov 11, 2008