Doctors Ban More Medical Schools.....Greater Number of Students....Protect Incomes...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by libertad, Nov 10, 2008.

1. achilles28

achilles28

3 sounds high but more like it.

#31     Nov 10, 2008
  2. Mecro

Mecro

It's not about money, because if it was purely about money, the schools & organizations would increase volume of membership fees & tuitions. The doctors at the top are not threatened at all by new talent, why would they be?

It's about scaring the new students via competition versus each other and hence making them more obedient. A medical degree is considered a gimme 6 figure job, a total safety profession. Take that illussion away and these students (who normally are very risk averse) will do whatever the establishment tells them and even compete to show who is most obedient.

#32     Nov 10, 2008
  3. Mecro

Mecro

My info comes from my friend who used to run payroll for NYU hospitals. NYU Medical pays very well in comparison.

You really think the physicians at a hospital in Crown Heights Brooklyn get 300k a year? Are you going to tell me that most hospitals (which employ the majority of doctors) are in wealthy areas? Or do you think that they go in proportion with demographics, mostly poor to dirt poor?

P.S. Your buddy is all about the money, by the way. If he is not, ask him to contribute his amazing earnings toward the ridiculous money they charge for unnecessary surgeries. When pigs fly, lol.

#33     Nov 10, 2008
  4. What you write can certainly not be true. That one year of internship is followed by at least 2 years of "residency", usually it's 4 years, depending on the field. A cardiologist e.g. has gone through 6 years of training ( 3 years residency+3 years fellowship) after medical school. Surgical specialties require about the same length of training. Salaries for "residents" and "fellows" can be googled, you'd be surprised. For residents it starts at ~ 40k/year. In a lot of specialties, you'll never get to the 300k range.

It's true, however that some specialties in medicine have unreasonable high incomes. This won't be sustainable any longer.

#34     Nov 10, 2008
  5. Classic and rational move for the existing doctors.

Not so good for patients or insurance companies.

#35     Nov 10, 2008
  6. brown

brown

you idiots that keep saying doctors are making to much, and blah blah blah why do they think their better then anyone else? You have NO idea what the hell your talking about.

The overhead of private practice doctors is incredibly high. Lease on equipment, lease on building, phone service with 24hr service provider, malpractice, the list can continue down this page if I felt like it. An d even if you are not in private practice. Why shouldn't someone who has to get out of bed at 3am to do a TEE be get paid the same labor as a damn plumber who has maybe 10 months of education to 12years? You have no idea what goes on in the medical field and you should stop and learn a bit before typing such nonsense.

#36     Nov 10, 2008
  7. it all comes down to those damn hard workers being poorly compensated for their damn hard work. if only we could find some way to punish them from the get go so they wouldn't work so hard- it would show the extreme foresight of the layman who never sought to invest in their own future

#37     Nov 10, 2008
  8. That may all be well and true, but what does that have to do with intentionally limiting the number of qualified applicants to medical schools?

#38     Nov 10, 2008
  9. spinn

spinn

One of the best ways to avoid paying malpractice insurance would be to stop committing malpractice.

What most people do not realize is DRs commit malpractive almost every time they see a patient.

I have a chronic condition and the treatment I have received has been horrific, at best.

But then again, if I develop diabetes a DR gets to buy a Corvette, if he gets lucky and I get cancer, the DR gets to buy a house, in Hawaii.

Why would a DR cure anyone when they are paid more, the sicker you are?

#39     Nov 10, 2008
  10. NOT TRUE

my mom is an ENT surgeon. trained in the air force for 10 years then moved to private practice where she is now 15-20 years in and starting to think about retirement. she has never had a malpractice suit, let alone lost one, and in the past 5 years her insurance rates have TRIPLED. tell me how that is fair. once again, a little research before posting would go a long ways.

#40     Nov 10, 2008