Dobbs: Keep religion out of politics

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Sep 27, 2006.

1. If their books are clean, why worry about the IRS?

You don't worry about an audit do you? After all, you don't cheat on your taxes...do you?

#51     Sep 27, 2006
  2. Yes, people can do that...

But it is rare to find a church that doesn't want tax exempt status.

Remember, those who work for the churches, whatever money they make is income...

No tax code is infringing on your right to express yourself freely in your place of worship.

Just have your church revoke the tax exempt status if you have such concerns.

It is that simple.

#52     Sep 27, 2006
  3. Hi ratboy,
    Can you point us to references for this?

#53     Sep 27, 2006
  4. you are sounding like hapless and trader nikki now.

#54     Sep 28, 2006

5. Church says it will fight IRS over documents on anti-war sermon
    Posted 9/22/2006 9:50 AM ET
    PASADENA, Calif. (AP) — A liberal church that has been threatened with the loss of its tax-exempt status over an anti-war sermon delivered just days before the 2004 presidential election said Thursday it will fight an IRS order to turn over documents on the matter.
    "We're going to put it in their court and in a court of law so that we can get an adjudication to some very fundamental issue here that we see as an intolerable infringement of rights," Bob Long, senior warden of All Saints Church, told The Associated Press.

He said the church's 26-member vestry voted unanimously to resist IRS demands for documents and an interview with the congregation's rector by the end of the month.

The church's action sets up a high-profile confrontation between the church and the IRS, which now must decide whether to ask for a hearing before a judge, who would then decide on the validity of the agency's demands.

IRS spokesman Terry Lemons would not comment specifically on the dispute but noted in a statement that the agency could take a church to court.

"We recognize the constitutional rights of freedom of speech and religion," Lemons said. "But there is no constitutional right to be exempt from federal taxation."

Religious leaders on the right and left have expressed fear that the dispute could make it more difficult for them to speak out on moral issues such as gay marriage and abortion during the midterm election campaign.

At a news conference Thursday, church officials were flanked by about 40 representatives of mosques, synagogues and other churches.

"We smell intimidation, it smells rotten, and we should not allow any aspect of intimidation to be directed to any member of our great country," said Maher Hathout, senior adviser of the Muslim Public Affairs Council.

Under federal tax law, church officials can legally discuss politics, but to retain tax-exempt status, they cannot endorse candidates or parties.

The dispute at the 3,500-member Episcopal church centers on a sermon titled "If Jesus Debated Senator Kerry and President Bush," delivered by a guest pastor. Though he did not endorse a candidate, he said Jesus would condemn the Iraq war and Bush's doctrine of pre-emptive war.

According to the IRS, the only church ever to be stripped of its tax-exempt status for partisan politicking was a church near Binghamton, N.Y., that ran full-page newspaper ads against President Clinton during the 1992 election season.

#55     Sep 28, 2006
  6. Well it does seem political candidates were entered into the sermon. With a position being made for one over the other. And naturally that's a nono for tax-exempt status.

#56     Sep 28, 2006
  7. So you disagree with me, and therefore it is right for you slur me?

I don't think a political response by the Republiklans toward a church speaking out against the war is right. I think it is wrong.

However, that doesn't absolve the church from violating their tax exempt status if they are doing so.

Please don't confuse the tactics by the republiklans, and my wish for the churches to maintain their tax exempt status by keeping their finances from donations for purely religious and charitable purposes...not for political agendas.

I do not want in any way the church to be involved in politics, any more than to have politics involved in churches.

Government is a house of men, churches should only be a house of God.

#57     Sep 28, 2006

8. omg.. well hell.. lets just bring out the KGB. so bottomline, i cant express antiwar sentiment if i am a pastor of a church that "enjoys" tax exempt status???

does anyone understand that the 1st amendment protects "us not them." the "no no" you speak of is forbidden as law and should not be on the books. this is a grand example of govt/irs making a law that "prohibits the free exercise there of." congress shall make NO LAW respecting an establishment of religion, therefore the tax code on church "tax exempt status" is illegal.

#58     Sep 28, 2006
  9. Would it matter to you at all if the church was in violation of their tax exempt status?

#59     Sep 28, 2006
  10. did you read the article??? this is a church that had an antiwar sermon. the mere fact the irs is allowed to pursue this is abhorrent.

#60     Sep 28, 2006