Dobbs: Keep religion out of politics

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Sep 27, 2006.

1. ... they just can't, as an organization, back a political candidate and also expect a tax-exempt status if they do. Right or wrong that's the law.

#11     Sep 27, 2006
  2. so before the IRS, churches were FREE to back candidates?

#12     Sep 27, 2006
  3. I don't know. that's an interesting question to find a reference for.

#13     Sep 27, 2006
  4. and it is not just about backing candidates..... one sermon aroused irs attention because it was ANTIWAR. this is absurd.

can you please cite code where this is spelled out??? i am sincerely asking. it is unconstitutional and shows just how bastardized this govt has become.

#14     Sep 27, 2006
  5. Secular governments don't require churches to tell them what is moral.

We can figure that out just fine without churches telling us what to do...

Or do you even have any idea at all why we have a secular government?

#15     Sep 27, 2006
  6. were talking about the IRS coming in and deciding what a church can and cant talk about. come on...... that is absurd. that flies in the face of all liberties. the IRS answers to a private foreign corporation.... they have a conflict of interest.

#16     Sep 27, 2006
  7. A church has the right to talk about anything they want to. They just can't have tax-exempt status if they politically back a governmental candidate.

#17     Sep 27, 2006
  8. fhl

fhl

So, if secular gov't doesn't require churches to tell them what is moral, why do churches need the gov't to tell them what is legal?

#18     Sep 27, 2006
  9. Pabst

Pabst

I'm sure I know better than you the history of the Bill of Rights.

Where did I mention or even imply "require" or "tell them"?

A church that endorses political candidates is no different than a trade union, a newspaper, a business or civic organization or any other collective body that seeks to enforce a particular ideology through political means.

An electorate will make decisions based upon it's values, expectations and experiences. If some voters are sectarian then it's reasonable to expect some sectarian ideals to influence decision making. Do you favor a Thought Police now as well?

#19     Sep 27, 2006
  10. our rights are endowed by our creator, these are the words of your secular govt.

#20     Sep 27, 2006