Do you yell and scream at the computer if you do a bad trade?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by profitplay, Jun 6, 2006.

Do you yell and scream at the computer if you do a bad trade?

1. YES, I yell and scream at the computer if I a bad trade

46 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. NO, I stay calm and quite

76 vote(s)
    62.3%
  1. Are you Cramer? :D

#31     Jun 6, 2006
  2. Albert

Albert

I have a collection of holes in my walls that I admire from time to time. Cheaper than a psychiatrist and does wonders for my drywalling skills.

#33     Jun 6, 2006
  3. I got that "loving your losses" from some book. Maybe it was Elder...I dont know.

I think everyone can agree with me on this though... We may not yell and scream or show emotion in a physical way, but we feel anger/ happyness inside.

- nathan

#34     Jun 6, 2006
  4. I chose yes but not because of bad trades. I know when I'm wrong and I'll even say to myself..."yup..that was stupid" and I learn from it.

But what really gets me going is when shit doesn't work that is supposed to. Like, to echo mnx, stuck orders......level 2 showing levels that aren't really there due to slowness....Island cancelling orders on the book because of their stupid uptick rule...really the list goes on. Then I'll just let off some steam...maybe give the table a good pounding....and then I'm fine. Better to let it out than have it all bottled up, no?

#35     Jun 6, 2006
  5. dealer

dealer

Back in the early '90s when I was a wee pup and when bond markets really used to move I had a tendency to smash telephone handsets.

Sure, very imature and perhaps grandstanding -but it sure felt great to smash a handset to smithereens storm off to the smoking room for a couple of B&H's and return to find a replacement had already been installed.

I don't think those antics would be tolerated in today's dealing room.

Anyway, to answer the question -yes i still curse at my screen. It's called letting off steam. And it works for me.

Those that remain as cool as cucumbers are scary... You just never know when they are going to go postal....

#36     Jun 6, 2006
  6. dac8555

dac8555

i have seen people act that way....none of them lasted a very long time.

The most emotion i will show trading is a deep breath and maybe shaking my head.

Much more than that will do more harm than good.

if you are doing that badly...that you have to get physically violent...the best thing you can do it go to cash...and busy yourself with something else very quickly...like a hobby. take your mind off it for a couple hours, then analyze the mistake.

You will notice that if you never take too big a risk...you never get very angry. keep losses to 1%...keep your sanity.

#37     Jun 6, 2006
  7. Not really.

The idea is that you need losses or you won't have winners. So if you accept that you will get a flow of losers and winners on your way to a profitable day (week, whatever) then you can love your losers as well as your winners because they are an essential part of the profitable day.

Kind of zero stress trading which I personally don't achieve.

#38     Jun 6, 2006
  8. everyone seems to share the opinion that expressing emotions = poor system execution. One should remember that the principle is to seperate yourself from emotions, not hide them. Obviously not easy, but something to think about.

#39     Jun 6, 2006
  9. of course...WHO doesen't?

#40     Jun 6, 2006