do you watch the news while you trade?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by dac8555, Dec 12, 2005.

1. I am forced to watch (well, its on in the backgroud) CNBC at my firm but I find it almost 100% worthless. At least the commentary is, I do look up to see things like how much oil is up or down and the same with the indexes. Buts thats it really.

#11     Dec 13, 2005
  2. ===============
    Yes, have been known to watch Art Cashin,Bloomberg,
    Cramer-M-Money.Consider any comments as ''churnem-burnem '' like Jack Schwager said,[ until proven otherwise]

But none of those substitute for research;
    and consider any comments as a ''churnem-burnem'',
    unless i have proved/researched it .

Even Jim Cramer post market has to be listened to with discretion, like the time he mentioned ''egging'' a corporate managers house on Halloween:D [Dont try that at home]

#12     Dec 13, 2005
  3. I do not watch or listen to anything. No noises and no distractions for me.

I do usually check the Bloomberg and Yahoo Finance websites pre-market for anything significant. Today for example, the expectations for the Fed hike ... nice fun trading day as the reaction was well recieved.

Mike

#13     Dec 13, 2005
  4. I like to listen to Bloomberg on XM satellite radio but only when important Economic Events are released.

Generally i agree with the board...the financial media is more of a distraction than anything else when trading.

fwiw...they were very impressed with today's FOMC statement. Seems a little strange that the market sold off late.

The futures are heading up after hours, though. Tomorrow could see higher prices, imho...

#14     Dec 13, 2005
  5. I dunno, I don't see how anyone trades (esp bonds or currencies) w/o knowing, for example, what was released alongside the FOMC decision today.

If you're just chasing momentum then fine, information leading to forming an opinion might just get in the way and slow you down. But just because the market doesn't usually do what everyone expects it to do considering the news just out, doesn't mean you should turn a blind eye to it. my .02

#15     Dec 13, 2005
  6. Egodude

Egodude

I watch it, but more for entertainment than anything.

#16     Dec 13, 2005
  7. I watch the futures. When they do something unusual I check the news to see what happened. I usually have to wait a few minutes to find out.

#17     Dec 13, 2005
  8. Mo06

Mo06

"I watch the futures. When they do something unusual I check the news to see what happened. I usually have to wait a few minutes to find out."

Exactly. By the time we hear the story, the market has already reacted to it.

It often amuses me to listen to the talking heads on Bloomberg. They are always trying to explain a market move after it's happened. Market is up.... 'due to traders anticipating the end of Fed rate hikes'... Market is down... 'due to fears of inflation'... they will change the explanation to fit the move, but in retrospect of course.

Better to watch the market action and enjoy some Miles Davis.

#18     Dec 13, 2005
  9. I neither watch nor read anything during the trading day. It serves to confuse me when I read or hear about stuff which could sway my decisions. At the end of the day, I'll look to see what's gonna happen tomorrow but that's pretty much it.

Well, except when there's FOMC meetings or any major stuff like terrorist attacks. But in general, they're not good for a technical trader.

#19     Dec 13, 2005
  10. hefty1

hefty1

Every now and then CNBC offers a little golden nugget of news. Insana and Santelli are informative. However the station's theme music and endless stream of commercials are too annoying for background noise. I stopped watching tv in the office.

#20     Dec 13, 2005