Do you want to hear the music of markets?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by abogdan, Jan 6, 2004.

1. abogdan

abogdan

About 25 years ago I met an extraordinary individual – late Leo Theremin. Hi was the father of all the electronic musical instruments. http://mindlounge.mayancaper.net/intersections/theremin.html. His invention (ThereminVox) was such a revolution in electronics! It inspired thousands of young inventors to jump into experimenting with sounds and many of the incredible devices including “Echolot” that is used in submarines were created at that time. Professor Theremin has shared with me one of his thoughts that has started 20 years long R&D program that I called “Microscope of Time”. The premise is very simple:
    Our brain can decipher or process information within certain dynamic ranges, whether those ranges would be of time or of distance. Let’s use an analogy to demonstrate this concept. If you were watching the cars at a busy intersection from a high rise apartment building, you could see the chain of events clearly—turn signals, brake lights, movements of the cars. If we filmed this intersection and then increased the speed of the film a thousand times, we would see chaos rather than the logical chain of events. Conversely, if we decreased the speed of the film a thousand times, we could barely see movement at all. In other words, in either case, we could not be able to decipher the logical chain. The more successful we are at comprehending information in this “microscope of time”, the more successful we are at making logical decisions. For example, Wayne Gretsky is an amazing hockey player. It is not his athletic ability per se but his ability to comprehend or process information at an incredible speed and then react from a position of knowledge.

You have heard the expression, can’t see the forest for the trees. Well, if you are looking at one tree closely it is impossible to see the ‘big picture’. We could say a macro and a micro view. We can do the same thing with time. If you are watching a video whether you fast-forward or put it in slow motion our comprehension of the events are distorted. However, there are events, like a score in a hockey game that can be better appreciated with a slow playback. By comparing what occurred in the regular time frame to the slow playback we have a very clear picture of the event.

Humans have a very narrow dynamic comprehension range which allows us to process information accurately only at a very specific speed. Attached to this post are sound files of the KLAC activity at a very specific frequency range. Can you hear the heart beat of the market?

2. nkhoi

nkhoi

wow! just like that submarine movie, you listen and know 4sure something is out there.

3. abogdan

abogdan

Anybody else is listening?

4. Sounds like the tones the Mars Rover sent.

5. sounds like my old 4bit atari 2600 game machine.

anyway try trading klac with it. i'm sure it works.

6. Sound has the shortest memory span in a brain...

Not suited for trading.

7. abogdan

abogdan

Actually, it is other way around. When you hear your favorite song you liked so much in High School it immediately brings associations in your brain. These are the most stable threads that exist in your memory. When you see your old girlfriend at your high school reunion she most likely looks radically different, but when you hear her voice everything comes back to you in a snap of your fingers. Sounds are the most uncharted area in our decision making process. Ask any good car mechanic. He would listen to the sound of your engine and immediately tell you what is wrong with your car. Music is one of the best stimulus of our brain.
    Regards,

8. Really? My bad.

9. That's pretty cool.

10. It'd be interesting to switch it around and see what "Sex Machine" by James Brown looks like on a stock chart.

#10     Jan 6, 2004