Do you trade spot FX with IB?

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by datamerc, Dec 10, 2007.

1. jjk2

jjk2

hi, so doe sthis mean that, if i trade a pair that does not contain my base currency (ex. gbp/jpy), then P/L is automatically converted to USD ?

#11     Dec 28, 2007
  2. No gbp.jpy would normally present a jpy result (or gbp if you made the above adjustment).

#12     Dec 29, 2007
  3. jjk2

jjk2

ah i see, and it seems theres no automatic feature to automate this process.-

#13     Dec 29, 2007
  4. Out of curiosity, I gave this a try the other day. I completed a trade not involving my base currency (USD) and ended up with 30 CAD net profit. I converted the CAD back to USD using IDEAL but WAS NOT charged a commission. I'm not sure if this was because it was such a small trade or because IB knew it originated from another trade. Any ideas?

#14     Jan 5, 2008
  5. How about a buy/sell spread? If you change the USD back to CAD it probably will be a tad less than the original $30.00 CAD.

#15     Jan 5, 2008
  6. jjk2

jjk2

very interesting hurricane.

do you manually place another buy/sell transaction to convert ur profits to ur base currency

#16     Jan 5, 2008
  7. I placed a manual sell of the 30.00 CAD and received 29.98 USD. The transaction was priced at the current bid price (which I accepted) with no commission deduction.

#17     Jan 5, 2008
  8. Now if you buy CAD for that 29.98 USD will you get $30.00 CAD? My guess you will get less and IB makes a bit of money on the buy/sell spread.

#18     Jan 5, 2008
  9. jjk2

jjk2

yea im pretty sure IB will do that....they are brokers after all.

#19     Jan 5, 2008
  10. Tuneman

Tuneman

So I dont get it, whats the big deal if you dont close it out? Are you guys talking about having to pay the roll?

Also,

How come I placed a order, closed it out and had some realized P&L. Then, I open another trade, and I was losing money on that trade so I had a negative unrealized P&L. However, at some point my realized P&L was reduced. Why is that?

Also,

How do they calculate accrued intrest when you are trading forex?

#20     Jan 7, 2008