Do you trade other countries' stocks?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Trader_Herry, Jul 18, 2006.

1. To get a better result, make a poll.

#21     Jul 28, 2006
  2. mokwit

mokwit

KGI in Hong Kong offer cash equities in Hong Kong, Taiwan, China B and US via web based access. Korea + others not direct from HK based account. They cater to active clients and cover the more speculative markets i.e the ones where the HK/TW syndicates are active.

At the retail level you end up with money spread across too many accounts if you want to cover a whole region like Asia. Nobody covers it all and nobody offers direct access to every market through a single account. Phillip, Kim Eng and DBS Vickers offer platform to some and 'phone access to others for South East Asia. Japan and KR through Phillip, but no TW.

Singapore and Hong Kong are tightly regulated. You can have a normal, workable, mutually respectful relationship with these brokers. If something breaks and you ask them to fix it they regard that as a legitimate request.

Boom.com covers the whole region from one account but is NOT direct access (dealer manually places your web based order with local counterparty) and need USD10,000 transaction size to overcome commissions - OK for some strategies, not for others.

If anybody knows more or different I am all ears. You can access through e.g MER + others but that is with full service commissions.

#22     Jul 28, 2006
  3. I trade US stocks only.

Would it be possible to trade remotely from a prop in another country but be an American to get around the PDT rule.?

#23     Jul 28, 2006
  4. mokwit

mokwit

Be aware that currency conversion can be an issue due to currency controls (e.g lack of Baht offshore) and spreads.

#24     Dec 15, 2006