Do you trade ES/NQ or ZB/ZN?

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by svtrader, Dec 22, 2003.

1. For those who have traded both the stock indexes and bonds, I'd like to hear which one you prefer for trading (both day and swing) and why.

My experience is that I do better when I hold a contract overnight (rather than day trade) for ES/NQ, but what prevents me from increasing size is the chance of a shock event that could mean limit down. I'm a newbie in bonds and don't know if such shock events could affect bonds.

2. Pabst

Pabst

Even more so.

3. When do ZB trades transition into the next session and become overnight holds? 15:00 (est)?

ES

4. Can somebody confirm the the trading hours of the ZB?

This is what I got:

17:00 (cst) Sunday open
    14:00 (cst) Pit closes
    14:00 (cst) Globex starts
    16:00 (cst) Friday close

When you have a position open when does it become an overnight hold? at 14:00 (cst) ?

ES

Very confusing? Is there an overlap?

Open Outcry: SUN-FRI: 5:00pm – 4:00pm
    CME Globex: MON-FRI: 7:20am – 2:00pm

5. Overnight

Overnight

Seems quite simple to me...

"SUN - FRI: 5:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m."

So from 4PM CST to 5PM CST is the overnight hold, from Sunday night to Friday night. One hour each trading day. Oh, wait, you ignored me. So you will not see this bit of info.

Or this bit, either...

https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/in...us-treasury-bond_contract_specifications.html

How much more straight-forward can it get?

You are having a time-zone crisis. I weep for you. And you know, Mr. Savant, you could always call the CME on the phone and ask them directly. Why are people these days so afraid to call a source to get the true skinny on bits? It is so fascinating that nobody these days has the cahones or bravery to speak with people on the telephone.

The CME group is very accommodating, they will answer your questions.

Ask THEM on the phone, man. Oi!

6. maxinger

maxinger

I do day trading on futures.

ZB/ZN not suitable for day trading.
    most ZB/ZN traders are spreaders.

I trade ES and NQ.
    there are more signals from NQ as its day range tends to be bigger.

7. treeman

treeman

I trade ES, NQ, and ZB (as well as other futures). My average holding time is measured in weeks.

ZB can be slow moving, and it’s crazy liquid. You could throw 100’s of contracts out on a market order and get no slippage

8. marameo

marameo