Do you tip?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by peilthetraveler, Jul 18, 2009.

Do you tip?

1. Yes, I tip 20%

52 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. Yes, I tip 15%

15 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Yes, I tip a couple of bucks only

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. No, Its not my responsibility to compensate their pay.

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. bkveen3

bkveen3

I thought you claimed to be a christian. Kind of a disgrace if you ask me. Can't even fairly compensate hard working people.

#51     Jul 19, 2009
  2. I have delivered pizza for 6 years. You are wrong about Hispanics. They are generally pretty good tippers and don’t complain a lot. They do annoy me when they call up and demand that someone take their order is Spanish. A lot of white people are pretty high maintenance, but they are easier to reason with. Black people are obviously the worst in tipping and complaining. Not all of them though.

#52     Jul 24, 2009
  3. I agree tips are a bad thing. It's basically bribery for receiving service. But the problem is, the pay is so low, tips are relied upon for income.

My solution:
    1. secede from the United States. This would give every person in the state a 35-45% pay raise effective immediately due to no more income taxes and social security/medicare (including the employer paid portion).
    2. Bar owners would receive that pay increase as well. Immediately institute a no tipping policy and raise server's pay substantially. Post a sign saying something like "We care about our employees and pay them well. Please do not tip".

The above would transform any state that did this within days.

I've got a few more ideas to make things even better. Arizona is perfectly situated to do this immediately. All we have to do is convince 100 state legislators. Within days, the rest of the state would be ecstatic about all the extra money in their pocket. The legislators would be guaranteed re-election.

#53     Jul 24, 2009
  4. When I worked in a business where it was possible to get tips but not likely expected. We made it a point to guess beforehand who might tip and who might not.

Blue collar workers usually tipped.

Black people. Tough call. Regardless of income, if they had class (or wanted you to think they had class) they tipped. You could tell, decor in the home, how they dressed, spoke. You pretty much can recognize class when you see it.

Yuppies, they were all pricks. Fughedaboutit.

Professionals. Drs, Lawyers, Cheap bastards, if they tipped it's only because you sweat blood to make them happy.

Senior citizens. if you were nice to them and patient, they always gave a couple bucks, they were on the low end of the tipping scale but the shit adds up and they probably could make better use of the money than I would but i took it anyways.

#54     Jul 24, 2009
  5. Just checked. Only 90 legislators for the state of Arizona. Shouldn't be too difficult to talk to those people. Do you know their kids? Get their kids (especially daughters) doing some convincing on daddy.

It's time the state legislators got some balls. Tons of resources in Arizona. We don't need the Feds. And we've got tons of military sites here to use as collateral to ensure the Feds make good on the promises to social security recipients. Sell off the equipment to ensure the elderly are taken care of.

#55     Jul 24, 2009
  6. Plus we have a decent medicaid system that could be improved in state health care for everyone.

Yes, tipping is terrible. It is one of the underpinnings of society that creates the nation of bribery and kickbacks. Do you really think the guys in the back (dishwashers, bus boys, and cooks) receive their share? Hell no.

#56     Jul 24, 2009
  7. But until we secede from the nation and institute no tipping policies, I do tip 15-20%. (my brother is a bartender and one of my best friends is a server).

#57     Jul 24, 2009
  8. Or maybe employers could just pay their employees more? They’ll pay less taxes doing that. People like you live by theory’s, not facts. If a state were to secede, that wouldn’t increase wages, it would decrease them. What is the savings of 35% of 0? That’s how much all the people laid of by the Federal government would be. Unemployment would skyrocket. Wages would then fall because of the increased supply of workers. This would be a drag on the economy. Most of these people would not be rehired by the rich building businesses.

The rich do what’s best for themselves. Didn’t the Bush tax cuts prove this? For 8 years the rich had no fear of tax increases and yet employment and wages went down, not up.

Restaurants pay so little because they can. Giving the owners tax cuts would not change anything. They would pay them just the same and keep the money. Why do they need to pay them more if they don’t have to? I would love to open a non tipping restaurant, but I don’t have the money. If I did, I’d really have to aggressively take the business of tipping restaurants, or it won’t work.

#58     Jul 25, 2009
  9. yeah, i always tip 20 plus% unless the service is bad, then its 10 or 0.

what's the big deal?? dining out is a luxury, if you cant swing it, don't go out.

surf

#59     Jul 25, 2009
  10. oriol88

oriol88

if the profit margins are so low, then there is an excess of production capacity.

I don't understand why do I have to prolong this inefficient allocation of resources.

#60     Jul 25, 2009