Do you think the euro is likely to replace the us dollar as the major currency?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by tzna, Nov 7, 2008.

1. SteveD

SteveD

I am not aware of the US defaulting in the last 200 years....

The investor has and will always get his money back....

The housing myth was busted in the early 80's in Texas with the S&L debacle....

I have seen this rodeo before....

Anyone with common sense knows one can easily overpay for a house.....

SteveD

#31     Nov 10, 2008
  2. jprad

jprad

A commodity backed currency that backs a commodity-based economy is not a safer haven than the current one.

#32     Nov 10, 2008
  3. Yeah ,wait till you go to the bank to pick up your life savings and you need it all for one trip to the grocery store...
    That's the way this will all go - eventually...

#33     Nov 10, 2008
  4. tzna

tzna

Wow...so many replies, thank you all! I've been doing research on the internet and between that and these replies there are so many mixed opinions as to whether or not the Euro could replace the U.S. dollar as the major currency. At first, the argument that there are too many divergences between euro members for the Euro to take on the role of the main reserve currency seems to make sense. But then I read that the US dollar continues to decline and in the past years the US has lost popular sympathy and that the "EU experiences nothing like America's current account deficit and external debt, which apply considerable pressures on the dollar." It's so difficult to choose a stance! In the meantime I'm going to take some time to read the replies more carefully.

#34     Nov 10, 2008