Do you think it's a bad idea to buy a house at this time?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by RGLD, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Overnight

Overnight

I do not have the cable I have the Direct TV which is available with the Goldman Sachs. I have it on loan from the Jerome Powell who probably worked for the Goldman Sachs.

#31     Nov 13, 2020
  2. RGLD

RGLD

So you watch your own show on DirectTV.. I see. :)
    I think I saw you buying a hot dog one time in midtown. You were in a hurry to get back in the building.

#32     Nov 13, 2020
  3. Sprout

Sprout

Like the weather, forecasts are fluid and often change.
    SFR’s have the greatest rate of appreciation but multi-plexes have more stable cashflow.

RE market has been counter-intuitive in some areas due to COVID, experiencing accelerated appreciation.

Unfortunately, also with COVID, the first wave of foreclosures are about to expand RE inventory.

#33     Nov 13, 2020
  4. You may want to check where equity and real estate markets went under Obama. Nowhere but up.

#34     Nov 13, 2020
  5. Completely false. Do I need to post charts or do you manage to do so on your own?

#35     Nov 13, 2020
  6. When this becomes a criteria for me when looking for a place then I know its my time to go :D

Just kidding, I know it’s important for the ol’ folks

#36     Nov 13, 2020
  7. tomorton

tomorton

I can make some generalisations (but based on the UK property market). It can almost always be a good idea to buy a house, BUT -
    • buying for less than 2 years is almost certain to lose money, unless you can throw some renovation work at a poor house in a good area and flip it
    • buying to save rent over 3+years is almost always financially a good idea
    • buying a modest house in an improving area for 3+years is almost always a winner
    • buying a solid house in a solid area to make money over 10+ years is only a big financial winner if you intend to downsize or move to a cheaper area

#37     Nov 13, 2020
    yc47ib likes this.
  8. morganist

morganist Guest

In which country? When you look at buying a house you should look at the overall macroeconomic factors that will impact the value and your ability to make the mortgage payments. I look at the level of government debt in a nation before I make an investment there, because if the government starts taking more tax from people to pay the government debt off it reduces house prices and it also makes it harder to make mortgage payments due to it taking more money from your income or reducing trade.

I also look at the factors that might alter inflation and the interest rate, which can cause the interest rate on your mortgage to rise. If these are too high then I would look at investing into a property in another country that does not have the macroeconomic problems the country I am living has, then I would buy a house rent it out and use the rental proceeds to rent somewhere in the country where I live. Exchange rates might be an issue, but a currency option can resolve that.

#38     Nov 13, 2020
  9. Trader Curt

Trader Curt

Depends on which chart you are going to pull to defend your argument. There are always some markets that do better with a weak economy. Even I could show you markets that did better when Obama was in office, let me go find a healthcare stock. Tell me something I don't already know...

#39     Nov 13, 2020
  10. Trader200K

Trader200K

Nailed it ...
    T

#40     Nov 13, 2020
    MarkBrown likes this.