Do you tell people you're a trader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by raszorz, Jul 16, 2003.

1. I never get a good response. :(

trend

#41     Jul 17, 2003
  2. MRWSM

MRWSM

Venture Capitalist, little or no questions on this one. When pushed I say it's complicated.:)

#42     Jul 17, 2003
  3. The only truthful response on this entire thread.

#43     Jul 17, 2003
  4. I think the problem is that we are trading INDEPENDENTLY..
    if we trade for merrill lynch or a bank or a well-known
    fund, I don't think we will have problems with this question at all.

When I tell people I trade for living, the next question is usually
    which firm do I work at, then I have to tell them I trade at home,
    and you can immediatly tell the disappointment on their face and
    they change the subject ( well..I try to change the subject most the time).

As independent traders, our social identity( and ranking) is the same as being unemployed, trading is definitely not a job and MOST people don't think of it as a business, it's natural and convinient for others to put you in the "unemployed, loser, " catogory with all its associated attributes, which is why we are all so very insecure about what we do no matter how money we make. this also explain why we feel compelled to engage in conspicous consumption(nice cars, clothes) to regain our social status..

#44     Jul 17, 2003
  5. Kap

Kap

Trader = professinal gambler

My response is Private fund manager, since I trade other peoples money as well as my own ... then I bullshit them with some Option pricing theory, they soon drift off... little do they know I trade on yesterdays High, Low and the open and 3 spins of a coin!:p

#45     Jul 17, 2003
  6. large homes work the best for social status. cars and clothes are trinkets.

:p :D :p

#46     Jul 17, 2003
  7. Atlantic

Atlantic

i like these answers best:

dlincke

08-10-01 02:07 AM

I sometimes answer that question by telling people that I'm a "critical liquidity provider". It's always funny to see people get really confused while pretending to know what that is.

candletrader
    Elite Member

08-11-01 09:53 PM

Tell them that you are "engaged in probabilistic net excess return generation via the real-time analysis of intraday valuation evolution". That will either win em over or send em to sleep. Either way, you'll get em off your case.

#47     Jul 17, 2003
  8. :D :p

#48     Jul 17, 2003
  9. Its hard for people not in the business to understand what trading for yourself is all about. Unless I am prepared for a lengthy conversation, I just say I'm a clerk.

#49     Jul 17, 2003
  10. what year was that in? i was that annoying guy in front of the brothel begging for a spare copper."shine you sandals for ya governor" sheep and slave futures back then wiped me out.

#50     Jul 17, 2003