Do you tell people you're a trader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by raszorz, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Cutten

Cutten

By this logic, anything with risk of financial loss is gambling. So real estate development, banking, insurance, venture capital, no win/no fee legal work, running for political office etc is all "gambling". Clearly it's more complicated than that.

People view something as gambling when you are risking money to make money, with no perceived "productive" activity underlying the money-making. So real estate development is not gambling, despite being very high risk, because you are building something concrete (excuse the pun). Correctly anticipating the cards someone is holding in a game is not viewed as "productive".

Now it becomes clear why ignorant people view trading as gambling - they do not understand the productivity of liquidity provision or efficient pricing of assets. They think trading is a zero sum game. To be fair to the public, many traders and financial market participants are equally ignorant and share their view.

#291     May 27, 2005
  2. flat5

flat5

Such histrionics. Are you female?

I've never lost a dime investing, but I've really lost energy for responding to childish garbage like this. Over and out.

#292     May 27, 2005
  3. mogul

mogul

I must say flat5 is right on, I guess that divides the camp if ET:ers

speculation is all about gaining wealth through risk, some speculation is more measured than other

for those that justify their trading with the idea that you "provide vital liquidity to the market"...please...that may be a side effect and what does indeed make the markets work, but how many speculatoes enter the arena to provide that service?

poker is the perfect analogy, just that the players are vastly greater in number, so with every trade, or "hand" you may not directly be taking from someone else, but given enough time and number of trades that is exactly how it works

#293     May 27, 2005
  4. mogul

mogul

No but real estate speculation, in particularly flipping is not productive in the same sense

Don't confuse the end-result with the inention of each individual market participant

if you honestly trade in order to infuse liquidity to the market then more power to you, but I have a hunch that you are alone in those noble intentions

#294     May 27, 2005
  5. If I may side step the original issue for a moment.

If a trader enjoys what he is doing and is not somehow unfairly hurting anyone in the process, then, quite frankly, who gives a shit what other people think? Few occupations afford the opportunity to live independently of the goodwill of others. Trading well is one of them. That has value. Worrying about what others may think diminishes that value.

#295     May 27, 2005

6. Some people get their feelings hurt if they are not accepted by others. To be a really successful trader I know you have to think differently than the rest, that includes not caring what they think about trading because most of them dont have a clue what trading is about anyway.

When you tell them you are a trader be proud, confident, and smiling because you know something they cant understand.

#296     May 27, 2005