Do you tell people you're a trader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by raszorz, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Merc

Merc

In that case they better be traders themselves (new friends I mean)!
    I can talk about trading only with traders.
    :D :D :D

#11     Jul 16, 2003
  2. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

I'm an equities risk and reward manager for ONE of the most successful traders.

#12     Jul 16, 2003
  3. gimp570

gimp570

I hate explaining to people what I do. My new thing is to tell people that I work for a hedge fund....not many questions after that.

M

#13     Jul 16, 2003
  4. Merc

Merc

Tell them about your previous profession.
    In the previous incarnation.

#14     Jul 16, 2003
  5. opm8

opm8

Just tell 'em you run a private hedge fund. If they start asking a question, interrupt them by yelling "IT'S PRIVATE!"

--opm8

PS: I'm waiting for the day I can say this after I quit my job.

#15     Jul 16, 2003

6. So I should say I herd sheep during the day and spend my evenings at brothels.

#16     Jul 16, 2003
  7. Merc

Merc

Excellent thread I must admit!
    Made my day!
    It's good to see fellas traders have the same issues, makes us brothers.

#17     Jul 16, 2003
  8. That is exactly right. Never talk about trading with nontraders. And even talking about trading with traders might move you off your game. As I recall on the floor of the grain exchange, traders really didn't drone on and on too much about trading after hours.

Tell them you work with computers.

#18     Jul 16, 2003
  9. Merc

Merc

Make it something decent and boring like dentist, engineer, builder etc.
    Make a boring face, people will think you are one of them, that will relax them a little, they will live you alone.
    But you must know what are you talking about in case you really meet dentist, engineer etc.

#19     Jul 16, 2003
  10. gaj

gaj

i have no problem telling people. i've received support, and "wow, i can't believe someone's doing it successfully - good for you!" from nearly everyone. the only ones who i didn't get total support / encouragement from was my parents, who felt it was too risky to do something like that on my own.

even at the point that i wasn't making money, i still received lots of well wishing, etc. most people's followup question is if i work in the city...no, from home. then, what firm do you work for - no, my own money. then the "wow" part...

a couple friend of mine have thought about trading, and i throw out things, such as "ok, you've just had a bunch of down days, and lost X$ - can you handle that?" they only see the (perceived) easiness, and not the fact that it's very possible - and likely - to lose money on a day.

and if i'm trading conservatively, i'll often stop by noon. put THAT together with working from home, and some get gaga. but that's because my system works best in those hours, and part of my experience / history. it took a while to learn the seeming contradiction, that working LESS hours (in certain times) means better returns.

#20     Jul 16, 2003