Do you still get the dividend if your short the shares?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by bat1, May 11, 2013.

1. bat1

bat1

cool cool thanks man!:p

#21     May 12, 2013
  2. When I short stock, I get the dividend, but it usually takes an extra day. You just have to have patience.

I love et

#22     May 12, 2013
  3. This is actually very important to remember. When you go short you have to make sure that you're making enough on the stock to cover the costs of borrowing + the dividend costs. New traders can often get messed up by this.

#23     May 13, 2013
  4. Then there's the tax consequence.

Not sure if this is completely accurate but the point is, better check around

"If you borrow stock to make a short sale, you may have to remit to the lender payments in lieu of the dividends distributed while you maintain your short position. You can deduct these payments only if you hold the short sale open at least 46 days (more than 1 year in the case of an extraordinary dividend as defined below) and you itemize your deductions.
    You deduct these payments as investment interest on Schedule A (Form 1040). See Interest Expenses in chapter 3 for more information.
    If you close the short sale by the 45th day after the date of the short sale (1 year or less in the case of an extraordinary dividend), you cannot deduct the payment in lieu of the dividend that you make to the lender. Instead, you must increase the basis of the stock used to close the short sale by that amount.
    To determine how long a short sale is kept open, do not include any period during which you hold, have an option to buy, or are under a contractual obligation to buy substantially identical stock or securities.
    If your payment is made for a liquidating distribution or nontaxable stock distribution, or if you buy more shares equal to a stock distribution issued on the borrowed stock during your short position, you have a capital expense. You must add the payment to the cost of the stock sold short."

-----------------------

This may not apply if you trade in a tax deferred account.

#24     May 13, 2013
  5. piezoe

piezoe

I think O'Neil is a charlatan, nevertheless much of his advice was good. For example, "NEVER SHORT A STOCK BECAUSE YOU THINK IT IS TOO HIGH."

#25     May 13, 2013
  6. piezoe

piezoe

You do not get the dividend, but the market may reimburse you when the stock goes exdiv. Definitely not a sure thing.

#26     May 13, 2013
  7. J.P.

J.P.

When the company, OAK, pays out the dividend for those 2,000 shares that the OP borrowed, to whom does it pay it?

#27     May 13, 2013
  8. The short seller borrows the stock from me then sells them. Whoever bought the shares from the short seller gets the dividend from the company. The short seller pays me the dividend I missed out on with a payment in lieu.

#28     May 13, 2013
  9. a5519

a5519

You must a good fool be to ask such a question.

#29     May 13, 2013
  10. J.P.

J.P.

Thanks, nutmeg, for that clear answer.

#30     May 13, 2013