Do you still get fear in a trade?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by cashclay, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Trader Curt

Trader Curt

You should try trading crypto. It will wear you out so bad you will turn into an alien

#11     Jun 10, 2021
    persistence, jl1575 and Nobert like this.
  2. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

I understand where you are coming from but it's likely a little simpler than that...

Barring one-off rarities like the exchange going dark, there are only 2 results possible with any trade... you will exit with a net profit, or you will exit with a pre-determined (by you), reasonable net loss.

Not having an exit plan or doubting ability to adhere to the exit plan are more common issues, I think.

The first question to be answered before entering a trade is not about where to enter. It is all about where to exit.

Trade On!

#12     Jun 10, 2021
    CALLumbus likes this.
  3. traider

traider

No because elite traders don't lose

#13     Jun 10, 2021
  4. deaddog

deaddog

Zurich Axiom:
    Major Axiom 1 - Risk
    Worry is not a sickness but a sign of health. If you’re
    not worried, you are not risking enough

#14     Jun 10, 2021
    comagnum likes this.
  5. If you’re trading too big, jumped in on a late Meme or using money you can’t afford to loose, than fear is normal outcome.

#15     Jun 10, 2021
    cashclay and Nobert like this.
  6. Example in ORPH now, bought at $33 during about two halts ago. 500 shares its at $64 now. Getting a little nervous because it’s pure gambling now. Have a limit order to sell at $68 guarantee’s catching the Consolation open. Maybe this is a bad example?

Edited: Gambling stocks make me nervous but not scared. Just position yourself comfortable.

#16     Jun 10, 2021
    cashclay likes this.
  7. I think one should be void of both, thus trade small size that it allows you to sleep and do not mind your position either way. I admit I fear large positions overnight (not intraday) but fear and overconfidence are both bad. Look at it this way, isn't algo trading perfect for this reason alone?

#17     Jun 10, 2021
  8. Out at $77.00 feeling better. You will get the fear under control with risk management and small size to start.

#18     Jun 10, 2021
  9. tayte

tayte

Fear often results from a lack of knowledge. If you put on a trade where you know the max loss possible, know exactly how to determine whether you re right or wrong at some point, thereby knowing when to take profit or get the f out; i dont see how fear plays into this.

#19     Jun 11, 2021
  10. GotherL

GotherL

You sure you didn't get that from a self-help book on how to conqueror anxiety? Never heard of it. At least, not from a trading standpoint.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    #20     Jun 22, 2021