Do you see patterns in Random Walks?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by atlTrader666, Aug 10, 2011.

1. The people that trade of illusionary patterns probably would care.

#41     Aug 12, 2011
  2. I decided to read through the posts before posting here. You can always tell the individuals that stopped learning after they left the halls of stimulation.

A variety of colleges and universities all over the world offer classes teaching technical analysis as it relates to the markets. I recently attended an on line webinar where the professor was talking about how the traditional fundamental models no longer work with any worthwhile consistency.

Random walk is no different from a naked price bar chart because they are both raw data. That is why no one can tell the difference between the two. Damn, has common sense evaporated in this forum? It's what you discover in the data that makes all of the difference in the world.

Those of you hanging your hat on a 38 year old book (Random Walk published in 1973) of antiquated data need to either catch up or resign yourselves to feeding the rest of us with profit. I mean please:

Floppy disk invented - 1971
    Bar Code invented - 1973
    Atari game console introduced - 1977

"Absolutely impossible for anything new to have been discovered in the data mining of raw market data or any technological advances in the last 38 years". This is the mindset of delusion.

atlTrader666, have you picked up the "page generator"/"TA Basher" baton from marketsurfer now since he has been found to be a fraud?

#42     Aug 12, 2011
  3. I agree with the "coin flip" analogy but a balanced chart is absolutely nothing like a coin flip scenerio.

Try your "coin flip" scenerio out at a baseball game and get back to me. I mean it's only hits or misses just like a coin flip, right?

#43     Aug 12, 2011
  4. What a smart post!
    Well stated.

I can answer the randomness question as it relates to chart structure but that is the extent of it.

#44     Aug 12, 2011
  5. one can build a model that takes the this 50/50 coin flip to another level increase the odds over 50/50

For example if we have 5 heads and 10 tales we have deviated from the 50-50 ratio by 5 tales.

Now i did this with a deck of cards not a coin looking at red and black.

at any given time it is hard to know what will come up next. I would never place a bet on this and if i would i assume i would break even over the long run.

That being said, if we analyze the data we see that this deviation from 50/50 has a pattern.

If we only bet when we have deviated from the 50/50 by 8. then we are in a good position and a bet can be placed. this stands for a deck of 52 cards only.

such an opportunity may only come once. one can bet once we have deviated by 7 and then if wrong double on the 8.

Yes, knowing if heads or tales is going to come up next is hard especially without analyzing past history.

try it

#45     Aug 12, 2011
  6. and alttrader is chill.

he is questioning our approach to learn, and he is seeing that patterns do exist. he is seeing the light and being difficult so as to get more info or ides.

It is a good technique that any one that has the TA bug growing deep within them would be likely to take.

Question, put people on the spot, get them to prove themselves and then take the proof to build on it. such a TA kinda thing to do

lol

#46     Aug 12, 2011
  7. Hey the trolling surfy is back.
    Ever going to address your last wonderful trades on your closed journal?
    How about the trade you posted, then deleted?
    Remember what I said about the blind squirrel? I was right yet again!!!

Surfy deleted the posted after I caught it. What a loser!

#47     Aug 12, 2011

8. I have an idea, why don't you post a journal of your trades before the fact? Pretty charts can be included but only prior to you taking a trade. Why not?

by the way, what's going to "go wrong" this time prior to your software being submitted for testing? It's gotta be something!

surf

#48     Aug 12, 2011
  9. No need, real traders can see it in real time.
    Remember, you are a real trader.
    You post trades then delete them. Fraud!

Nothing has ever gone wrong with my software. Works just fine.

#49     Aug 12, 2011
  10. Ok, I am looking forward to it, but doubt it will actually be sent, and if so, it will be so convoluted and subjective as to be untestable--- but I am keeping an open mind... If it matches the performance you have/had posted on your website, I'll become a price physics proponent---

surf

Ps. not even mentioning your student wollinsky billion dollar claims...

#50     Aug 12, 2011