Do you scale out of your trades?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by funky, Dec 10, 2003.

Do you scale out of your trades?

1. Funky is right, scaling out makes all the difference!

55 vote(s)
    343.8%
  2. Funky is full of shit!

29 vote(s)
    181.3%
  1. Daxtrader

Daxtrader

I never scale in, it's just too complicated for me. I don't scale out either, though I do set my stops to break even +1 tick after a certain number of ticks, and then let all the contracts ride to my target.

#31     Dec 11, 2003
  2. ...the systems hold until the backtested stop time if there is no exit by stop or take profit.

#32     Dec 11, 2003
  3. Please clarify "tools"... :confused:

#33     Dec 11, 2003
  4. Q

... I pile a very big position on, and I tend to either be in or be out of it.

Generally speaking, I'll put on my whole position at one time. If I'm going to buy 700 or 800 contracts, I'll buy them right away and get out of them the same way!

--- The Day Trader's Advantage (by Howard Abell) - Pages 182-183 (Part of an interview)

UQ

However, whether the very big position consists of several (smaller) orders was not mentioned.

:confused:

#34     Dec 11, 2003
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

So if you don't scale, then you have nothing at all to show for the trade?

#35     Dec 11, 2003
  6. geeks...losers...etc

#36     Dec 11, 2003
  7. Quah

Quah

Do you "scale out" at your stop loss too?

If not, why not?

#37     Dec 11, 2003
  8. ..just whatever profit or loss was associated with the percentage of the account allocated to that system.

#38     Dec 11, 2003
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

But if you don't scale out, and you don't reach your profit target, then the end result would be no gain at all, correct?

I don't mean to sound dull, but you're being a bit cryptic and I'm trying to understand your point.

#39     Dec 11, 2003
  10. Good questions, indeed! :D

#40     Dec 11, 2003