Do you run your self-made trading system with Linux or Windows?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by GloriaBrown, Aug 9, 2013.

1. I am going to trade with IB and look like IB mainly just develops their socket with Java, so I will use Java to write my trading system. Seem like Windows 7 nowadays is stable enough that not much different from running in Linux like Ubuntu. My analysis time frame would be maximum 1 second per bar. So what is your setting and why? Do you think I should run with Ubuntu or Windows 7?

2. Craig66

Craig66

It really does not matter, either is good.

3. In ran my IB software on Linux prior to Windows 7, but migrated over as Windows 7 is/was a solid 64 bit OS.

I'm almost exclusive in Java, so the migration took less than a day. Reason was that TWS seems to run better on Windows than Linux. At the time Swing had issues on Linux.

4. 99% C# here - with some C++/CLI code to interface with one of my data providers (nanex - their only sensible API is C based).

All based on WIndows. Can hardly await for the new Server (2012 R2) as it does some serious good things for Hyper-V (I run the trading in a virtual machine on a server I have in Chicago - NOT a rented VPS, I just prefer the safety of a hypervisor for various admin tasks).

5. Nab

Nab

If security of your server is of importance to you, I would strongly advise to a linux box (with a minimum of running services + intrusion detection/prevention software) ...

6. Which, obviously, is a stupid recommendation. Trading is not running a server. As such, it is perfectly ok to trade behind not only the pretty safe windows firewall but also a router that just does not route incoming connections (i.e. a very trivial NAT setup). Which is, btw., how I do it - one reason I have Hyper-V there, because it runs another virtual machine that right now serves are router (and actually establishes the virtual private network to my office).

Things get more complex once you run a server that must be reachable from the outside (which a tradin system is not), but even then a LOT of LARGE websites have no problem running on a modern windows.

Seriously, I do IT 20 years and the last time I saw a window system compromised that was not run by someone who should serve burgers at McDonalds instead of running a computer was the Slammer Virus. And that predates IIRC the year 2000. MS really got their act together.

But again, this is a TOTAL non issue on a trading system that you can safely hide behind NAT.

antiseptic likes this.
  7. koolaid

koolaid

I loled at this guy

8. is this still true in 2019?