Do you remember the Quotron?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by michaelscott, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Only for yours, dreamboat.

#11     Jun 21, 2007
  2. Surdo

Surdo

Is that how you get the gerbils to their home?

el surdo

#12     Jun 21, 2007
  3. The Bunker Ramo was on a 360° pivot (lazy susan) and was shared between brokers with adjacent desks. You were completely on the bottom of the totem pole if you were relegated to sharing one of these machines.

Quotes on these machines were not dynamic. You would refresh the quote by hitting the enter button.

We use to play this idiotic game at the end of the production month 2 minutes before the close. Everyone would chip in $20 and stand in a circle around the machine. We would type in the symbol INDU.X and hit enter. Then rotate the machine to the guy to your right. Whoever hit enter and the INDU.X quote came up saying CLOSED would win the pool. Needless to say we broke a lot of these machines.

just,
    my2cents

#13     Jun 21, 2007
  4. Surdo

Surdo

We had it on the MBS Repo desk and rarely used it for anything important.

el surdo

#14     Jun 21, 2007
  5. :D Real life history, thank you,

Ursa..

#15     Jun 21, 2007
  6. :)

#16     Jun 21, 2007
  7. So we all laugh at this 30 year old technology- I wonder what people in 2037 will say about OUR cutting edge technology?

#17     Jun 21, 2007
  8. Quotron........

Getting one quote....while watching the pneunamic price quote screen...and sending hand written orders through an air tube...
    to an input clerk....1/8s....1/4s.....and over $100 commission on 400 shares.....

#18     Jun 21, 2007
  9. I remember Quotron well. I think they were bought by Citi, but not sure.

How about ADP Comtrend for commodities? The attached printer used thermal paper I think. Very au courant for its day.

#19     Jun 21, 2007
  10. gangof4

gangof4

had to post just cause seing 'quotron' sent my mind immediately back to my rookie days @ mother merrill. actually, @ our office, only the top hitters had their own. they tried to make sure an active stock guy shared with a mutual fund jockey to cut down on the fights over the quotron. my dream was to have my own one day and not have to share.

/trip down memory lane

#20     Jun 22, 2007