Do You Really Trust Cnbc?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by eagle488, Sep 25, 2006.

1. CNBC is more than meets the eye. Not always, but enough times to make watching it worthwhile. Even Pisani, who a lot of times sounds like nothing but a market cheerleader stands by his own opinions sometimes, and a trader (yes a trader too, not just an investor) can get some useful insight into what the Wall St. is currently thinking. His bullishness going into September, and then just prior to last week's Fed decision, stressing that the market seems to be acting complacent is case in point. I wouldn't watch for guest analysts and fund managers though - they tend to be nothing but sales men looking to tout their babies.

Overall though, I just watch it between 8:00-9:30, and other times when econo. news come out (it's slower than mIRC FinancialChat I use, which is a bit slow itself but CNBC's useful as the secondary source), and sometimes tune in around 2 to stare at you-know-who (no, not Cramer). :D Fast Money is interesting sometimes (for me at least), if just because traders run the show.

#11     Sep 25, 2006
  2. minmike

minmike

I hate CNBC, They are just reporters pretending that they now something. Getting argumentative with a trader that manages a billion dollars while all they do is sit in a chair and talk? Not worth the air they breath. the only thing that they are useful is when they break news that really moves the markets. ie bartaromo when she talked about bernake.

Otherwise I where ear plugs when I trade . I trade better not hearing them because they upset me so.

#12     Sep 26, 2006
  3. Surdo

Surdo

Becky Quick is quite the Babe!

She had a low cut Green dress on on The NYSE last week worth looking out for.

Otherwise, 90% of CNBC is dribble.
    CNN is faster reporting world events as they unfold.

#13     Sep 26, 2006
  4. i like it just for some noise and becky and pisani. but no question - cnbc's ratings go up when the market goes up. the people they interview make money when the market goes up. ..... so no doubt in my mind of a bias.

they never talk about the us debt or deficit...it just gets glossed over.... and who owns cnbc???? GE. The captain of industry itself....

if they could hire a few more broads and put them in bikinis to jump up and down when the market goes up - it would be better...(no offense to broads i am just guessing most of the viewership is male)

#14     Sep 26, 2006
  5. Don't you guys remember , not so long ago Becky was so nervous in front of the camera I thought she would run off the set.

She got better.

#15     Oct 4, 2006
  6. I like "Jane Ong in Hong Kong" but Becky Quick does it for me sho nuff...

#16     Oct 4, 2006
  7. Iceman14

Iceman14

I agree with much of what was said here (about journalists masquerading as analysts; market cheerleaders, etc.), but after all, isn't everyone watching anyway? I mean, CNBC isn't just for amateur investors. The pros watch it too. When I interned at UBS muni bond desk in NYC, the traders watched CNBC. When I worked at the CBOT, they had a big TV (actually a bunch of little TVs) in the corner with CNBC on it (and the occassional Final Four match and/or golf majors finals). And even back at the office, our upstairs guys and risk managers watched it too.

Now how closely did they all watch it? Not very, most of the time. But you need something in the background, and I think it's more entertaining than BloombergTV. And occassionally, if and when something big (market-related, or something than can move markets) happens, CNBC's a pretty good place to watch it unfold and even get some decent insight from guest speakers. Now as far as the "FastMoney" and "MadMoney"type shows. That's just plain trash (sorry Bolling, I really admire you anyway). Just my thoughts.

What else are you guys watching out there??

#17     Oct 4, 2006
  8. S2007S

S2007S

cant stand that network, I think every one of them is annoying. Becky qucik is sooooo annoying. Her and and the rest of them.

They always have those talking heads on, I think today if i heard it right which I think I did, DOW 16,000.

Come on!! These guys are just throwing numbers around. They talk about a possible recession in 2007 and Dow 16,000 within 5 minutes of each other. There all over the place.

#18     Oct 4, 2006
  9. greddy

greddy

The same day the Dow started its decline in May, there was a fat bald guy on CNBC saying the economy is strong, earnings are great, etc.

Watching all this crap will take the focus off your trading and looking at the charts.

Unless you have connections at Goldman Sachs, etc., we will never get the true picture. CNBC is there to feed garbage to the public and the professionals will be taking the other side.

Watching the charts is the key, imho. CNBC can be used to just get the news, not trading ideas.

#19     Oct 5, 2006
  10. JUST ONE TIME, I'd like to see when the market is down bad, Maria B throws it to Bob Pisani who, when asked why the market's down, says simply...

"More seller than buyers.... Back to you Maria!"

The Cubs will win the World Series before I see that.

#20     Oct 5, 2006