Do you read or post on Hacker News?

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Aquarians, May 29, 2020.

1. This site is definitely selecting for guys interested in trading, and this "App Development subsection might intersect with the crowd that at least heard of Hacker News.

So any of you geeky enough to read Hacker News on a regular basis? I'm of course guilty as charged, since I started this topic.

What about *posting* on Hacker News? In this case, I seldom do it, much much rarerer than I post here. Reason is HN moderators are dummkopf nazis and would pretty much censor anything the least bit sycophant, conformist and vetted by the crowd that I got to say, so pretty much anything interesting.

To their appraisal, ET moderators have proven to be much better at moderating content and yet letting individual personalities manifest themselves.

Might be just because they have a lot less content to moderate? I'd say ET, forall it's popularity among it's niche, is still 100x-1000x less visited than Hacker News. Which is 100x-1000x less visited than Facebook by my estimates, btw :)

So, HN anyone?

2. gaussian

gaussian

Hacker news is a dogshit echo chamber for virtue signaling and promoting whatever the status quo being set by FAANGS.

All comments on that website are selected to avoid criticism and confrontation. The result is thousands upon thousands of weak arguments that bandwagon on whatever thought process the mods of HN are allowing that day. It's trash.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Axon likes this.
  3. 2rosy

2rosy

4. Can't argue with you on that but see my latest post on this subsection of ET. If you need a job as a developer and most of us do, it's that trash you compete against. And if you don't know what you're dealing with or how to deal with it, you'll be homeless on the streets long before making it rich by reading ET and putting your trader skills to profitable use :)

5. Axon

Axon

"You think I'm gonna read all that shit?" levels of pedantry?, substance-less sophisticated arguing (sophistry) posing as actionable insight?, temerity to step one inch outside of approved opinions, right or wrong? 30 seconds before [flagged][dead], Yep! Must be """Hacker""" """News""".

Dang and power users like tptacek run the board on HN and anything that clique disagrees with doesn't stand a chance. Like @gaussian said it's an echo chamber. There's a deftly applied veneer of usefulness but it isn't real. It's the Gell-Mann amnesia effect. The instant you step into the comments on an article you have personal high level experience with you see how utterly misinformed most of the posters there are. There's the occasional gem but the sifting isn't worth the time in my opinion.

It's not a ton better but I prefer https://lobste.rs/

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  6. Atikon

Atikon

there is a paper out there describing pump and dumb schemes in crypto, other than that, no

7. I tried lobste.rs only to find:
    - It's an echo chamber of the echo chamber that's HN as far as original ideas go
    - Not surprisingly, they're even more dummkopf nazis than the dummkopf nazis on HN. At least on HN anyone can post and with some luck (dummkopf nazi on the other side of the length of watch he patrols), your post goes through and is read by a few before dummkopf nazi returns, finds it and fires you. On lobste.rs before even being able to post you have to pass the judgement of a freckled 13 years old who never even had it with two women at the same time. Wait, not even with a woman. Wait not even...

Axon likes this.
  8. SteveH

SteveH

I go to Reddit for scanning the latest nerd programming news. I tried Hacker News but there's too much over-intellectualized rambling going on for my patience level.

Some of my favorites:

r/lisp
    r/racket
    r/programming
    r/python
    r/csharp
    r/algotrading

The Lisp guys especially provide good content. You'll get some great links for even more nerdy things. For example, I just learned from there that the ACM Digital Library is allowing free downloads of 1,000's of technical papers through the end of June '20.