Do you prefer YM or ES for scalping?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Ares, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Isn't EVERY indicator lagging by the time you get it? :confused:

#11     Jan 30, 2007
  2. This goes hand-in-hand with the 'ES Too Efficient' thread and I got some slack for saying that the other indexes look 'cleaner'. My argument is that there is such a thing as too little volume AND too much volume. There is obviously a lot of volume on the ES.

Back to the question at hand, I would take the YM over the ES any day. It all comes down to trading style and preferences, but the YM is 'smoother' for me and my trading. Doesn't mean you will see the same.

#12     Jan 30, 2007
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Williams R% tends to be early...

#13     Jan 30, 2007
  4. Most think so:(

#14     Jan 30, 2007
  5. i am using the classic definition of lagging indicator.

tick is not a lagging indicator by that definition - which is an indicator that gives a current value, based on past data

an RSI, a MACD, etc. are lagging because they apply a formula to a series of datapoints (which are necessarily mostly in the past), to give a value. similarly, a moving average is lagging.

tick is not a lagging indicator. yes, there is lag between the time it happens and when it shows up on your screen, but that's true even with price. and price is the ultimate NONlagging indicator

tick is a very useful indicator because it is not some derivative formula based on the past, but an exact indication of the buying pressure in the relevant market (NYSE TICK etc.).

it is what it is.

i have a # of setups that take tick readings into account. i think if you trade frequently enough you will begin to see how tick can be used to help frame trade setups.

#15     Jan 30, 2007
  6. If the ER is to big for your account size you might want to rethink daytrading futures. Tackle the er2, its probably one of the hardest markets to daytrade consistently but it is also the most rewarding imo. If you can make money in the er day in day out you can trade any market. I wouldnt bother with the es unless your swing trading for 5+ points.

#16     Jan 30, 2007