Do you post what you would say face to face?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Bad_Badness, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

It was the golden rule in the NNTP* forums we used to give to the newbies. We had numerous forums for discussion on pretty much every topic. And the rule was, never write anything you would not say face to face. It kept things civil and productive.

The reason for this post in a trading forum, is for all those that do not follow this rule. It seems this type of honesty and bravery are key skills also in successful trading. But if one is full of bluster, imo, it does not bode well for their trading career. FWIW

*NNTP = News network transport protocol, it is one of three internet protocols: HTTP, FTP and NNTP. Even today, NNTP represents a fair amount of the traffic, fyi.

2. Humbleness and honesty comes with intelligence.

If they are ready to throw an insult at the first chance you can immediately tell that the can't be doing well in trading.

A nickname has been always a mechanism to hide a personality in forums. Trolls will appear everywhere, it is then our job to ignore them and carry on with opinions and news that matter the most to us.

3. Yes, my name is in my profile. I use sarcasm to mock idiots from time to time, but I don't see how trolling is rewarding.

4. Nothing that I say here can be said to someone in person. It's all dry, technical stuff and she would just fall asleep.

eternaldelight and tedmos38 like this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

This new world is way beyond Usenet. Stop posturing, it is not impressing anybody. And yeah, I'd say that face-to-face. Because nobody can argue with that truth.

I'd even :finger you, but these days that would be considered rude and inappropriate.

6. I am nicer online, as I tend to get violent in person (JK).

zenlot and Axon like this.
  7. TimMykes

TimMykes

I wouldn't even talk to most of you in person

8. Whoops. I just checked my .plan file, and it still has my missile coordinates as 18.336847N -64.926016W. Shit, that's only about 22 years out of date... but then, who the hell runs fingerd anymore?

UNIX does have some rather amusing command names, though.

What's this script do?
    "unzip ; touch ; finger ; mount ; gasp ; yes ; umount ; sleep"
    Hint for the answer: not everything is computer-oriented. Sometimes you're
    in a sleeping bag, camping out with your girlfriend.
    -- Frans van der Zande

BMK and KCalhoun like this.
  9. tomorton

tomorton

On forums I am trying more and more to post in a more reflective style and tone. So instead of saying, I do this / Your ideas are cr@p / You should do this / Don't ever do that, I'm trying to ask questions and get people to talk about what they're doing and where they are.

Even if I don't initially understand what someone is doing or why they came to that conclusion, maybe there are valid reasons behind it that I can learn from. And even if they still reached an unjustified conclusion, maybe the process they used could be instructive.

10. Nobert

Nobert

Someone wrote in this forum, that
    i am writing only that which i am willing to say face to face.

A simple rule to follow.

Meanwhile, some folk write as Joe Pesci.
    Would you want to associate with that kind of a person ?

Just warn em & if does not work - ignore, first temporary & then permanently.

Edit:
    That's interesting, is there an actuall studies on that ?

Then if so, the only remaining folk would be - psychopats, sociopaths, mentally ill & insecure ones.

Some said that they behave like this, because any time someone conctacts them, they want something from them.

But, that is the way, of how this reality works.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    #10     Nov 9, 2020