Do you plan to do this as career forever?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by midlifeguy, Jul 23, 2006.

1. I know locallly a 96 year old. Spends about 3 hours a week on trading and is still making 500K a year. He reckons it keeps his mind active and hence him young, he does it for kicks, not the money.

psycho analitics

#11     Jul 24, 2006
  2. Isn't already 70+ % done on the NYSE automatically?

Yes, as a scalper trading the order flow will be pretty hard against the machine. But there are other ways to trade too, area's where the machine is the underdog.

:cool:

#12     Jul 24, 2006
  3. What you're really asking is a question to yourself: Is this what I will do for decades to come? Is this a career, or is it just gambling? How many people on this board sincerely pursue trading as a day-to-day career?

Your real question then is not whether others do it but whether you believe such a thing is normal, good, possible. Your answer to that will determine a large part of your potential relationship to the stock market. It's good you're asking now.

#13     Jul 24, 2006
  4. Yes it can be done.

Yes it can be done starting at a young age or any age for that matter.

Yes it can be done for a loooooong time.

Yes you can be profitable, very profitable at that.

No, I can't see myself in another career at any age. Just left the lemming world and have no intentions of ever returning as long as I can help it.

Like others have stated, it's good you're asking these questions now. The hardest part is getting from your questions to trading then to profitability.

Good Luck with your search and journey whatever you choose it to be.

#14     Jul 24, 2006
  5. 27yrs old
    btw 20K-30K/month
    Daytrading is just a stepping stone for me. I dont see doing the same things I do now for more than another couple years.
    Longer term trading (equities, futures, options) while running my own trading firm at some point.

#15     Jul 24, 2006
  6. Steve - What trading platform are you using?

That is a decent income. Great job.

#16     Jul 24, 2006
  7. Thanks, I use the platform of the trading firm I'm at called "Greybox".

#17     Jul 24, 2006
  8. <i>Do you plan to do this as career forever? </i><P>Nah. This is just to keep me busy till I win Powerball.

#18     Jul 24, 2006
  9. dac8555

dac8555

2. 21..but had several years of on and off..maybe 5 years total actual trading experience...last 2 quite seriously.
    3.part-time-5%+ per month on average (actual account size has grown significantly recently, and $ number would not be accurate guage, so % is better indicator)
    4. Never, I will be in the markets until i die. it is the only thing i like enough to persue.
    5. I am also a decent salesman.

#19     Jul 24, 2006