Do you pay attention to slippage?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by cooker, Jan 9, 2022.

1. cooker

cooker

I reviewed my IBKR transaction cost report for last year; I incurred 30 basis points in slippage on average and paid 32.5 cents per 100 shares commission. It works out to around $55,000 in costs, or 8% of my gross profit last year.

2. Hi cooker
    Just curious, what exactly is “ slippage”?

3. cooker

cooker

Fill price vs the bid/ask midpoint.

naturecumforexlover likes this.
  4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I would not define slippage as the difference between the midpoint and the bid/ask and then you enter market orders and expect better. I would define slippage as entering a market order and the impact of your order moves the price or when you miss the opportunity to buy/sell at the current best prices.

5. deaddog

deaddog

Slippage to me is the difference between my stop price and where I get filled.
    No slippage on buy orders as they are limit orders, although I may get filled for less in some cases.

DoctorProfits, VicBee and Fonz like this.
  6. cooker

cooker

I'm more interested in using it as a measure of transaction costs for backtesting/modeling.

7. deaddog

deaddog

8% seems like a good number if that's your historical number. It seems high to me as I'm looking at basis points.

8. cooker

cooker

I trade some stuff thats not terribly liquid.

9. tomas262

tomas262

5-10% given up on slippage, hate it :D

10. d08

d08

This market infrastructure sucks. Imagine if you were dealing with a rapid auction type market where slippage would be >1%.

#10     Jan 9, 2022