Do you (or someone you know) borrows money from the bank to invest?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by crgarcia, Jan 23, 2008.

1. I will never understand the logic. If you are a good trader you will make the money without credit. Chances are if you need credit you are gambling.

#11     Jan 23, 2008
  2. True- the cash access line is usually 10-20% of credit line by default, but I never tried to contact the cc company to get it raised. The checks would probably be an easier option (I toss them too)

#12     Jan 23, 2008
  3. "If you are a good trader you will make the money without credit."

There are plenty of businesses that make money and fail due to lack of credit or needing extra money.

#13     Jan 23, 2008
  4. Bob111

Bob111

i also done this CC arb long time ago..bought some CD's right before (and some next day after)first cut. but right now CD's and money market rates are kinda low and more and more CC issuers want 3% for balance transfer..with good FICO score you can raise pretty good amount of money

#14     Jan 23, 2008
  5. Bullshit. It may take longer because you have no credit, but a good businessman will not go broke unless he was undercapitalized from the very beginning. If he was, he wasn't a good businessman.

#15     Jan 23, 2008
  6. Bob111

Bob111

if you take a good look on SP500 charts, you can notice, that during this january(which is not over yet) S&P lost almost all gains for last two years.. good luck with buy and hold on margin idea..

#16     Jan 23, 2008
  7. We have several bank accounts, all at the same bank. They are set up like that for tax purposes, different currencies etc.

I always keep a negative balance on every account. I don't worry about it because I'm using that money for investments. The amount borrowed is a small fraction of the total investments. I don't want to leave a positive balance in any account because it could collect interest and the tax rate is high on that. I total up all my interest charges on all the accounts and put that against the capitals gains for our investments.

Whenever I do any banking, I'm pretty sure the Tellers think that I'm really bad with my money. I'm sure they wouldn't understand my reason for always keeping a negative balance. They just think I'm borrowing from Peter to pay Paul all the time.

#17     Jan 23, 2008
  8. mokwit

mokwit

The advantage would be that you would not be subject to margin calls (assuming you let thigs get that far). Also if for example buying at a cyclical low if it takes longer to recover than you expected you could pay interest from sales with a reasonable chance you would make it back if you were right about the cycle and stocks went up 3x. If what caused the cyclical low has further to run then you are at risk of the bank calling its loan.

I would consider it for cyclical markets at a low with corresondingly low interest rates and where margin is not yet a good idea. As for this thing about not needing leverage, leverage will allow considerably greater compounding of returns.

#18     Jan 23, 2008
  9. When borrowing there are no margin calls, just monthly payments.
    With some loans you only have interest monthly payments (paying the principal in whole at the end).

You can "get your money for nothing" with a good FICO score. With margin you always need some money to start with.

Ever wondered how moguls like Donald Trump got out of bankruptcy?
    (they had very negative -minus- net worths back then): cheap/easy credit and good investment opportunities.

#19     Jan 23, 2008
  10. I understand that. All I am saying is it is not necessary. If you're good, you will make it. You can never borrow your way to success.

#20     Jan 23, 2008