Do you need to understand where the edge comes from?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by qlai, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Most edges derived via ML are totally abstract models.

#111     Oct 30, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Not me, bro, in the least. But most people conflate random walk of returns with random walk of prices, and then conflate a problematic random walk of prices with an impossible declaration of The Markets Are Random. Whoa! Is that you? I don't know, but you've brought this up out of thin air, so I won't draw any conclusions.

"Excuse me?" This is an outlook to which you subscribe. To paint your motive onto others is what our head-shrinking friends call Projection. There are many here on ET who utilize an avatar; it can be lots of fun; but there are some who hide behind it, to engage in gutless and grotesque douchebaggery. Don't join them.

Not my fault. In fact, through the course of my posts in the last quarter, I have posted two. Rudimentary and unremarkable (to the rest of the trading world) -- they nonetheless survive everything I can throw at them. I had started with an eyeball backtest, and was mapping out a Monte Carlo spreadsheet suite, when I came upon Tradingview, which I will recommend to you.

I wish you a measure of long-term success.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    #112     Oct 30, 2018
    beginner66 likes this.
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

[​IMG]

A reminder: Kevin Davey is an ET sponsor, has been around the block, and although I have not had need to investigate deeply, others apparently have. (To wit: tradingschools.org )

Between Mr. Davey and the free-to-use abilities of
    https://www.tradingview.com/ , no one should labor under any misapprehension that T/A-driven algos are magic, are beyond their capability, or cannot be simply formed to make money.

Bring the work, bring the discipline, you won't be disappointed.

AND TO RETURN TO THE OP, "Yes, you should always know your edge."

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    #113     Oct 30, 2018
  4. ironchef

ironchef

There seems to be logics even in the madness of human nature/psychology? Granted, it is like trying to look for a small perturbation in a very noisy system, like figuring out how a herd moves?

#114     Nov 12, 2018