Do you need a daytrading account to daytrade futures?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by crgarcia, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Or it just applies to stocks.

Is it true that brokers automatically permit daytrading on all accounts over 25k?

2. You can day trade futures without a $25,000 account. I see people in our room doing it with as little as $3,000. Although I dont condone it.

Geoff

3. Odds are there is a "fool" out there somewhere with only $3,000 that can outtrade you every day of the week. How much does he have to make before he is no longer a "fool".

4. 10,000 is the bare minimum I'd recomend for futures. a 25 cent stop on crude is 2.5% risk. thats alot

5. If you are new to the futs save up at least 10k. Futs and equities iam a junkie and love it!

6. clacy

clacy

I really don't understand why this is a problem. It seems to me, that the worst thing that can happen is you blowout a $3,000 account, which is WAY better than blowing out $25k, IMO.

That certainly isn't saying that you can make a living trading one lots with a $3k account, but just the fact that the OP is posing the question would lead you to believe that he is new to trading and so possible and even probably that he will blow out an account or two as he learns, so why not trade with $3,000?