Do You Listen To The News While Trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by BobbyMurcerFan, Feb 10, 2003.

1. gnome

gnome

Breaking news, interesting face... or earnings. I generally force myself to leave the sound on during the first week of earnings reports. :D

#11     Feb 11, 2003

2. no

surfer:)

#12     Feb 11, 2003
  3. I listen to CNBC all day long, and IMHO I think you are an idiot not to in the current geopolitical environment we're in.

I got stopped out today (I use mental stops) as I did Friday when bad news came out. It would have been a lot worse if I was not monitoring the news. If you can trade without listening to the news more power to you, but I find it hard to do.

#13     Feb 11, 2003
  4. Swipe

Swipe

Does any one listen to am radio and trade

#14     Feb 11, 2003
  5. Yep...I listen to smooth jazz sometimes while trading.

NihabaAshi

#15     Feb 11, 2003
  6. mmuloin

mmuloin

I have CNBC on but don't pay much attention to it. I react to charts first, as the market will always move before the news is broadcasted on CNBC.

#16     Feb 11, 2003
  7. oh yeah
    when ogg(newsreader) is mumbling and its quiet, the musicmatch internet radio goes on

#17     Feb 11, 2003
  8. sammybea

sammybea

in all honestly, I used to keep CNBC on just to have it on as background. Then i discovered Springer and the alike. Whos the father of my baby episodes are my fav :)

#18     Feb 11, 2003
  9. Tide31

Tide31

I have the news on for the same reason I watch my favorite technical indicators, to figure out what the herd will do next. This is how I've always approached trading - what will people do with this news or the fact that we are up against major resistance, etc... The people on those programs are not professional traders, they are professional journalists. They only know what the person in the earpiece is telling them (they really annoy me!). I am an avid tape reader though, meaning DJ news wire/Reuters/Bloomberg.
    Execution traders have large orders all during the day that they get in the AM for the most part. They are doing one of 4 things. Trying to beat the VWAP, participating with volume (e.g. 1/3 of the volume), buying 1/6 of the order every hour, or wingin' it. Under all 4 they must participate if volume is going to trade so they watch the news to get direction (almost NONE I've ever met are watching charts - because all they care about is volume). Therefore, yes I watch the news as much as I watch my charts to get on and ride the next trend until it rolls into the beach! :cool:

#19     Feb 11, 2003
  10. Hubert

Hubert

best news service for the buck
    if you trade off of news
    the guys just readed stuff over los.net service
    we have the news like eco numbers and stuff faster than
    CNBC.

i ithink he does free trials but i think you have to call him to get it

good luck hope it helps

#20     Feb 11, 2003