Do you listen to CNBC?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Nugget, Jan 2, 2008.

1. dsq

dsq

griffeth is still there....he s the only guy i can bear on cnbc...the rest of the people look like theyre trying to get camera time at all costs...I turn it on for all the important govt news releases at the start of the day and kill it after 8am.Pretty useless after 8AM when all the useless opinion shouting starts..and the glass dweeb guy needs to go asap...

#11     Jan 2, 2008
  2. I absolutely refuse to watch Cnbc when Gasparino is on. This includes Fast Money, I do watch that fairly regularly. But Gasparino anytime of the day will cause me to switch channels.

And political arguing that has no relevance to the trading day.

Theres a hardcore republican small built guy with glasses that is always preaching rhetoric. His name escapes me. Hes another one that gets a channel change

#12     Jan 2, 2008
  3. never

I can't fault anyone if CNBC(insert fav here) helps your profitability. For me, it would only serve as a distraction.

Actually I seldom watch any TV at all. Once again my choice.
    I have news filters but if something is up, I'll see it in my charts before it hits the wire.

#13     Jan 2, 2008
  4. ET70424

ET70424

Very true. Much more efficient that way.

News is always delayed compared to price action. The price chart is EWS. One can always check the news afterwards if it still matters.

Regards.

#14     Jan 2, 2008
  5. RL8093

RL8093

Less & less as time goes on. I watch it during breakfast and then it stays muted for 90% of the day. Usually un-mute for econ reports.

It's mostly stuff that has no impact on my trading & just acts as a distraction - such as:
    - Buy & hold idiots pumping their nonsense
    - Political stupidity &/or Kudlow broken record (Him & Goldilocks need to get a room)
    - Hollywood gossip or their version of non-news

I enjoy hearing Cashin if I can catch him & Santelli sometimes has an interesting perspective. Insana used to be able to add something from a historical or statistical perspective that I'd not heard - but he's mostly gone. Haines used to slam people when they spouted stupidness. Now he's mostly asleep. Bollinger added a different view but haven't seen him for a while.

R

#15     Jan 2, 2008
  6. ET70424

ET70424

Thanks for the update. Griffeth (Griffith?) was a decent, personable guy, as I recall. Glad he's still there, doing what he enjoyed doing.

Having a TV station dealing with financial matters is a very powerful, and profitable, asset. But the barrier of entry, i.e. cost of owning a TV station, is very high.

I think WebTV will become popular in the very near future. When bandwidth costs drops by another order of magnitude while speed gains by the same order, then WebTV will be very cheap to start and operate, especially with better software appearing. It would be far cheaper then to run a WebTV site on financial markets than a regular TV station.

When that happens (within 5 years I think), the long-term decline of regular TV stations in terms of viewership will have begun, the way it's happening to print media now. There are some stocks of TV networks. It would be interesting to check if their stock prices already have begun to reflect this.

Regards.

#16     Jan 2, 2008
  7. ET70424

ET70424

Insana used to reveal (or rather, subtly hint) about Wall Street shenanigans. While I appreciated and admired his guts very much, relative to 99% of other TV figures who played it safe by parroting the party line, I just had a sorry feeling that he was risking his career for giving those hints, however subtle and restrained. Even though 99.99% of the viewers were probably too dumb to even notice his subliminal messages, I still felt that he would be blackballed for what really were merely tidbits of rather innocuous and subtle, though insightful, remarks about the behind-the-scenes reality of Wall Street.

Regards.

#17     Jan 2, 2008
  8. Have you seen that new guy that is on in place of Mark Haines - Matt something I think?

I busted out laughing. The guy looks just like a younger version of Haines. Kind of funny... :D

#18     Jan 2, 2008
  9. I fall asleep listening to CNBC. It is midnight by the time your exchanges open, but I don't have this problem when I listen to Bloomberg!

CNBC is a good sleeping drug. I once woke up just in time to see Cramer ranting, it was an ugly sight, then I fell asleep again.

#19     Jan 2, 2008
  10. dsq

dsq

i think he s nesto or ernesto or something like that....i liked insana also...he now has his own financial firm/advice thing deal(market top?)...he still makes guest appearances-with his company name displayed of course....

I liked bloomberg better until they got rid of their stock ticker and index indicators about 2 months ago...

#20     Jan 3, 2008