Do you know why 50 Billion was thrown at Madoff's feet?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ByLoSellHi, Jun 23, 2009.

1. no, most don't have strategies that would scale to 50B. your conclusion is a little naive... returns are irrelevant if your edge taps out at 7 figs/yr.

#11     Jun 23, 2009
  2. Why will they not tell us where the money is?? You do not just lose or spend $50 billion.

Only the most advanced national or international group (read: terror group) could use and allocate that kind of money.

My suspicion is that a radical group of zionists is accumulating a war chest for more war.

And, we are to believe that he acted alone?? Americans love to believe in the stand-alone villian, a single bogeyman onto whom they can pin all of their troubles (Bin L, Saddam, Chavez, Lee Harvey O, Madoff, history is littered with them).

#12     Jun 23, 2009
  3. sumosam

sumosam

I read today that he was connected with organized crime. He is probably taking the fall for this. Trouble is, everyone is focusing on him.....what about the naked short sellers who literally take down some wonderful start ups....they go free and probably do more damage. check out : www.deepcapture.com

Please give it a read...expecially the part about how pensions, etc are raided.

#13     Jun 23, 2009
  4. You guys need to read Fooled by Randomness. It talks about fund managers performances.

Great read.

#14     Jun 24, 2009
  5. I was shocked that Madoff didn't blame the Russian or Jewish mafia for his misdeeds.

#15     Jun 24, 2009
  6. Cutten

Cutten

That made me laugh :D

#16     Jun 24, 2009
  7. AK100

AK100

Be careful, there's a potential terrorist lurking behind every wheely bin and down every alley :)

#17     Jun 24, 2009
  8. That is the headline but it is not the whole story. I mean those that intitially invested with the Ponzi scheme were probably aware of it and should have been considered accomplishes of his. They probably made 2 or 3 times their initial investment before the Ponzi collapsed. The whole setup is much more complicated and sophisticated in real life than what you described. You need customers to talk others into the scheme. The mechanics are far more complicated then any trading strategy you can think of with an edge.

#18     Jun 24, 2009
  9. here is why they threw the money at his feet. Madoff said he could return 12% per year and not take a management or a performance fee to do it. he said he made his money on trading spreads, etc.

so these feeder funds thought "hey, i can raise money, give it to madoff and I charge the 2/20 hedge fund fee- and he does all the work!"

these feeder funds were created to exploit the fact that madoff didnt charge any fees!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they literally got the money and then sat back and collected fees-

goes to show if its too good to be true it - you know the rest.

#19     Jul 1, 2009
  10. exactly, I'm sure everyone that got in this got in with the idea that they were benefitting from Bernie front running and insider trading...His equity curve was an absurdity that I can't believe anyone would buy into this without thinking that.
    Thats why I think its ammusing these people got crushed, they got what they deserved.

#20     Jul 2, 2009