Do you keep your profits a secret?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by morreo, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Never say a thing if you have or make more money than average. Others will only resent it. Sometimes they'll try to get more money out of you as well. I made the mistake of saying something to my dentist and right away all our bills went up.

It would be much better if you shared some of your good fortune with friends and family. Don't be too showy or make a big deal out of it though. Just share it where it is appreciated. You'll enjoy it and so will your friends and relatives. Maybe you can help a nephew go to college, give several hundred dollars for a wedding gift etc. Don't give any white elephants either. My friend bought a new boat and wanted to give his old boat to his daughter. I told him to sell it and give her the cash, but he didn't listen. Now the daughter is always broke paying for upkeep, docking, fuel, insurance etc.

#11     Oct 6, 2008
  2. You may tell people that you have a relatively small account (if asked in detail, you may say only 5 figures).

While the account is small the % gain is very impressive, and you may boast with the real %s.

This way you get the credit you deserve (we ALL humans want to be recognized and admired for out achievements, it's human nature).

Without getting your wife/kids asking for a new car, when the one they have is working as new, just isn't the latest fashion.

You might even be sued by a slut, if you boast the exact figures (happened to a close friend), so be careful.

#12     Oct 6, 2008
  3. Adobian

Adobian

The best quote of the year.

Pump your own ego and you'll become a loser.

#13     Oct 6, 2008
  4. You mean like palimony?

#14     Oct 6, 2008
  5. BallBag

BallBag

That's because The Trading Gods are always listening out for such behaviour, and are never slow to deliver a fearful smiting straight to the gonads. Those of us who have been around for a while know that it's best to keep your big daft gob shut and hopefully fly under their radar scope.

(I have some really quite elaborate superstitions regarding The Trading Gods, I could probably fill a pamphlet with them, imagine that).

#15     Oct 6, 2008
  6. Aok

Aok

Exactly.

Tell no one Morreo. You will be resented. Especially in down markets.

The avg sheep doesnt even understand short selling or futures. So when the market is down, their 401k is cut in half and you're smiling, they're looking for a pitchfork and a torch.

Everyone likes counting other peoples $ until they find someone who makes more. If you volunteer that info, they will be pissed.

If you think you manage stress well, just think of this as your ego stressing you out. Let it go. Not to mention my biggest losses followed my biggest ego strokes after big wins, as my discipline got lax. Save yourself pain. Focus even MORE and keep your piehole shut.

Then you will have something even more valuable, mastery over yourself.

Circumstances, good or bad wont impact you and ironically, you'll make even more $.

#16     Oct 6, 2008
  7. wjk

wjk

Telling about gains might jinx your wins, and in the current environment, could result in running from lynch mobs.

#17     Oct 6, 2008
  8. morreo

morreo

Thanks for the replies everyone. They are extremely helpful. I'm just going to do what everyone seems to telling me, "Just STFU!"

Also telling me how to treat family and friends really helps me define what is too much and what is enough.

I've just never been so excited in my life about anything. Also I'm just a 19 year old kid, so mostly everything that I'm experiencing is absolutely new. I don't want to screw up in personal relationships because of goals I am finally achieving.

Once again, thank you so much for the advice everyone!

#18     Oct 6, 2008
  9. Humility in the markets and your personal life is the way to go, grasshopper. :cool:

#19     Oct 6, 2008

10. sued by a whore??? what for?

#20     Oct 9, 2008