Do you have a system or method to analyze your system/trades?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Carneros8, Apr 20, 2019.

1. lets say you have over 1000 trades for the course of 1yr. How do you go about analyze your trading system? Do you look at every single trade? Do you look at your best days and worst days? And what attributes do you look for among your sample to improve your system? This is usually meant for fully-automated strategies but all responses welcome!

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

:banghead:

3. Hooti

Hooti

What kind of trader are you/do you want to be? Discretionary, automated, day trader, swing... some combination?

Are you pretty much a beginner? In a systems development phase?
    Sounds like that is where you are at...

4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Most brokers keep a few traditional stats of your trades that's computed in real-time and you can view at the end of the day but if you really want to get more in depth look into your trading...you're going to need to use a professional trade journal software or design your own statistical analysis in something like excel.

Some of those professional trade journal programs will connect directly into your account while others will let you download the trades into the software from your broker assuming your broker uses the format that's suitable for such.

I'm not sure what fully automated traders use but why would it matter if the broker keeps traditional stats for the trader and/or allows the trade results to be connected/downloaded to the 3rd part professional trade journal program ???

wrbtrader

Nobert likes this.
  5. pipeguy

pipeguy

I use data from myfxbook, they use various gauges of your trading performance. Basically my analysis is concentrated in risk/return balance

6. Overnight

Overnight

Tom, if you keep at it, your face will eventually look like that permanently.

Silly man.

tommcginnis and Nobert like this.
  7. The first question you should ask yourself is how you define a trade. For example being flat xyz, then going long xyz by 100 shares does not constitute a trade. No pnl was generated. Subsequent to the trade you will be exposed to unrealized pnl but even if you add another 100 shares that is still not a trade. Only when you actually realize pnl does that constitute a trade. Quite important when analyzing "trades" and something that gets lost on quite a few.

8. %%
    YES. Use a notebook,ohlc price,weekly + charts. And use plenty of discretion; I seldom buy much below 200 dma, but 7 days /+ into 2o19, larry Williams said thatis the bottom. I figured it was not, but longs making more, so bought early...………………………………………………………..

9. Turveyd

Turveyd

I just chart my account value, if its going up, I’m happy, not got time to waste.

10. sillyw10

sillyw10

to answer your question as best I can..it can be beneficial to look at what you have done on your last trade before moving on to the next..if you do 1000 trades with no feedback..or even 10 trades with no feedback..how are you ever going to make the required adjustments..as adjustments will be required..that is a certainty

backtesting with sim accounts is a total waste of time imo..of course..if anyone wants to prove me wrong..fire away!!

so..imo..you are asking the wrong questions if you are trying to improve on your trading..or start trading..or whatever..you can be much better served by asking specific questions in relation to what it is exactly you are trying to accomplish..which of course very few even know!!

#10     Apr 21, 2019