Do you have a job and trade or trade solo?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by eagle488, Sep 26, 2006.

Do you have a job and trade or trade solo?

1. I have a job and trade.

24 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Trade solo

33 vote(s)
    57.9%
  1. Do you either have a job and trade or trade solo?

I will admit that I have a job as a staff appraiser for an insurance company. Sometimes I start my job early in the morning before the market opens and try to get back by 9:30am. Im talking arriving at people's houses at 6:30am, taking quick pictures and then leaving just as quick. Other times I will wait until the afternoon to start my trading.

2. wake up 7:30, eat breakfast go over morning news, look at premarket action, then i get ready to rumble

3. I believe I might get confident one day to quit my job entirely, however they do provide an unmarked company car, pay for my cell phone, pay for the internet, pay for the cable, 401k, pension plan, medical benefits, etc.

If one day trading does not work out, then its nice to know that I have a job lined up that will help me. I do not rely on the job alone to make my check.

4. fletch2

fletch2

A full time job, a side business, and poker are my other forms of income.

Fletch

5. i work from 9 to 8
    and i trade from 10 at night to morning
    If the market has ben up and short it and look to make 2 point on the ES ( i trade futures ) and i get a day off on wednesday so i trade future that whole day. but hopefully in 1 year i will trade full time when i have enought capital

6. When do you sleep?

7. well i put in the trade and sleep
    and make sure i get up to see at 4 in the morning that is when the dax opens and i either average down or take my profit
    It all depend on the trade
    Right now i am short ES 1346 and with a stop loss of -3 points and a profit of 3 point some time 2 points ( sell limit )
    Tomorrow Wednesday so will be trading tomorrow also

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Job? I am the luckiest man alive. I have a wife and a lighter, and they both work...

9. YoungOne

YoungOne

This is kind of off topic but I was wondering how much do you guys think is the minimum capital necessary in order to make a living off of trading?

10. "This is kind of off topic but I was wondering how much do you guys think is the minimum capital necessary in order to make a living off of trading?"

This is a tough question to answer.

I know of a guy that trades gold and started with only $35000. Now he is a millionaire and trades for a living.

As for myself, I believe anything can happen from day to day. I feel more comfortable having a regular job because I know that the market will not always be there for me. If I had to put a number on how much capital I would need to quit my job and trade comfortably for a living, I would say that number would be somewhere around a half million.

One fact is for certain, the more you trade with the less risk you will need to make a reasonable amount of cash. If you start with 35000 then you will have to take on a lot of risk to make a comfortable living.

#10     Sep 27, 2006