Do you gun law people also believe we should ban cars?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tango29, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Well that happens often I don't get my point across as intended. It was simply that IF (highly unlikely IMO) the gov. comes after our guns they can get the NRA list and get the guns from the ones most worried about it.

#41     Apr 19, 2013
  2. LOL read part of my following post sir.

#42     Apr 19, 2013
  3. wjk

wjk

I was a member of the NRA in the 80's and 90's. I don't remember telling them any type of guns I owned.

#43     Apr 19, 2013
  4. No it wouldn't be a list of guns but of gun owners. But guns aren't going away, they never were. It was talking points to rally and scare the troops on the left and right and it worked.

#44     Apr 19, 2013
  5. wjk

wjk

Nope, it didn't scare anyone who's been a member. If you want to scare them, remind them that a record of their purchase exists for 20 years at the dealer it was bought from. If the dealer goes out of business w/in that 20 years, the records go to ATF I believe (don't quote me, but I'm fairly sure on that...a Google search can verify). This assumes the weapon was bought from a licensed dealer.

But then, you can always just say you sold them person to person, and that's what drives the left wing politicians mad.

#45     Apr 19, 2013
  6. Good info jem, seems like a lot of worry and fighting for nothing. I don't see any logical argument against a background check. According to what you wrote most legal gun owners are probably on a list and the only ones a gun show background check would affect is the few felons who would purchase guns there. Given probably a very small number but something that should be done.

#46     Apr 19, 2013
  7. wjk

wjk

Bigarrow, I think your wires crossed. You quoted me but responded to jem. [​IMG]

#47     Apr 19, 2013
  8. pspr

pspr

I'm not sure about the dealer retaining records. This was in an article that seems to indicated that long term records aren't required to be kept by FFL dealers.

Manchin-Toomey was rushed together on a political timetable, and a thorough scrub would have revealed that its finer legal points aren't as modest as liberals claim. Tellingly, the White House blew up earlier negotiations with Tom Coburn on background checks. <u>The Oklahoma Republican favored more and better checks across secondary firearms markets like gun shows and online, but liberals insisted that federally licensed dealers had to keep records.</u>

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324493704578430672176449846.html?mod=rss_opinion_main

#48     Apr 19, 2013
  9. wjk

wjk

If I get time this weekend, I'll research it.

#49     Apr 19, 2013
  10. wkj sorry for my thinking it was jem's post I was responding too. Guess I need those reading glasses more often than I admit. I didn't realize what I did till I read this on my laptop and not my tiny iphone screen.

#50     Apr 19, 2013