Do you gamble or buy lottery tickets?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by crgarcia, May 4, 2007.

1. Oh come on ...you had to know I was kidding :D

though if I backtested it I probably would have made a fortune ! :p

#31     May 5, 2007
  2. Speaking of gambling... there are lots of ways to do it to raise expected values and actually make a profit.

Most people that go to vegas, however, are not interested in doing this. THey are there to relax, to unwind, or perhaps have some illusions about striking it big in one day.

Even at the ponnies (with certain strategies) you can come out ahead if you bet just as you trade...

But I'm not an expert in this, just something I noticed, so I'll digress and say... I am interested in probabilities so I do on occasion read some books about turning gambling ventures into something more profitable.

#32     May 5, 2007
  3. I was hoping you were kidding, but I'm sure had you done it. You would probably be in Hawaii right now sipping on some fun juice. So i'd have no place to talk, would I?:D

On the one side... if you stop and think about it. What are the chances AAPL goes to 0 on any one drop? What's the average gain/average loss in a day? I'm not saying that it's a great strategy, but if you did in fact backtest it, I wouldn't be surprised if you were very wealthy, on paper that is.

#33     May 5, 2007
  4. Out of curiosity I ran the numbers for the past 20 trading days

If someone had bought Aapl on market open and sold each day at close I would be DOWN 2.5%

If someone had bought on market open 20 days ago and sold on fridays close I would be UP 6.5%

Interesting how the gap ups can make or break you...

#34     May 5, 2007
  5. bighog

bighog Guest

Bunch of BIG shooters hang out in ET. .. :D

Face it you cheapskates..........a dollar is nothing these days, where else can go get a couple hundred million for price of a candy bar? .. :p

#35     May 5, 2007
  6. going to vegas in two weeks.. woo hoo!

#36     May 6, 2007