Do you find day trading exhausting?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Unquestionably, Feb 18, 2011.

Do you find day trading exhausting?

1. Yes, it completely zaps my energy!

23 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. No, my energy level is unaffected by it!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%

1. Lol

#11     Feb 18, 2011
  2. BwPirt

BwPirt

Agreed.

#12     Feb 18, 2011
  3. piezoe

piezoe

Boring. It has become routine, I limit my trading hours to times when the market is most active, and do something else otherwise. When I have a trade on, unfortunately I can't leave. I learned from experience that even though I have a stop loss and target in, I still have to monitor the trade. If trading gets too exciting that's a very bad sign!

#13     Feb 18, 2011
  4. The only reason that you would be exhausted by trading is if you have no edge and the long term outcome is uncertain.

Once you have an edge and the long term outcome of your trading is not a matter of hoping anymore, then trading becomes very boring. The hard part then is keeping with something that literally bores you to tears.

You seriously get to the point where you just watch your account grow and nothing that happens is surprising anymore. There is no anxiety when you open a large position because you are not worrying about it going against you. It's all you can do to stay attentive.

#14     Feb 18, 2011
  5. dealmaker

dealmaker

Why trade if it bores you to death? You don't hear CPAs complain their jobs are boring so, why not find something else that gives you joy? After all your greates success will be at a job/career that you love and enjoy.

#15     Feb 18, 2011
  6. risky63

risky63

CPA'S do it for the money because thats what they chose to do and they're trapped. there can't be anything "exciting" about accounting I can think of.
    putting large sums of money on the line based on how smart you think you are and relying on the results to LIVE off of are very "exciting",
    if you find trading boring.....you don't have a pulse.

#16     Feb 18, 2011
  7. At the end of the day I can often be quite tired mentally. It's very engaging and stimulating, which consequentially takes a tole. I like to have a beer and lie down to watch TV and just "zone out" for about an hour after the market is over in order to recharge. I'm very young and I love this game more than anything. On a very active day in which I trade over a million shares I tend to find myself very exhausted at the day's end.

#17     Feb 18, 2011
  8. Handle123

Handle123

WOW, a whole week !!! I been day trading like 25 out of 30 years of trading...when you got it down to "boring", you are doing something right. I have a few pieces of exercise equipment, TV, tons of games to keep myself amused, or backtesting other ideas. I have been known to fall asleep with my mouse in my hand waiting for a trade. Sometimes the automated systems will wake me up, LOL

#18     Feb 18, 2011
    beginner66 likes this.
  9. GG1972

GG1972

It completely takes away my energy until I remember the days of sweating it out rolling steel-starting at 5 30 am and be sweating by 7 am - then trading brings a smile to my face :). Never regretted day trading. Always challenging always enjoying. Initially sitting on chair for 4-5 hours str8 was a task but I ve worked around that so its not as challenging now

#19     Feb 18, 2011
  10. It is definitely mentally exhausting if you are a perfectionist. I day trade equities, and I try to time all my entries and exits down to the second. I am glued to my monitor for the entire trading session, monitoring many stocks, all sectors, important commodities, etc. Watching 6 level 2 boxes at once.

Just like someone else said, a beer or a glass of wine is required after a day's work!

That being said, come on, this is the greatest job ever.

Every day is exciting, you could make more money TOMORROW than you ever have in your life.

#20     Feb 18, 2011