Do you Expect the US Economy to be Better or Worse

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Pabst, Aug 13, 2005.

Looking out 1-year from today, do you expect the US Economy to be Better or Worse tha

Poll closed Aug 20, 2005.
  1. Better

17 vote(s)
    31.5%
  2. Worse

37 vote(s)
    68.5%
  1. balda

balda

Do not confuse stock market with economy.

#11     Aug 15, 2005
  2. mhashe

mhashe

What "alternative" party do you mean? The govt. here is a duopoly who answer to the same special interest groups. Do you know how many independent representatives there are in govt.? you can count them on one hand. Well at least here you have the illusion of a vote. :)

#12     Aug 16, 2005
  3. CNN money>>

While Wal-Mart Stores blamed higher gas prices for cutting into its sales in the second quarter, CEO Lee Scott said Tuesday he's concerned that the worst may be yet to come.

"I do feel good about the economy, but I worry about the effect of higher oil prices," Scott said during the pre-recorded call that was monitored by telephone in New York. "Wal-Mart will continue to face a challenge as the year progresses."

#13     Aug 16, 2005
  4. On the first point ...these are the "news" and "media" reporting focus. A lot more positive progress is happening in technology and invention in the US than in reported to the general public through mass market media services.

On the second point I would say that I too am worried about the housing situation and its input into average household wealth and cashflow. Any problem in the housing sector could lead to some issues for he US economy.... and thus its in everyones interest to keep interest rates low and interest rate hikes very moderate in order to architect a "soft landing" in the housing real estate sectors.

I'm frankly not as worried about oil - although it might cause a short term kick to inflation, the history is that people are very sensitive to oil price rises and it usually lead to a fairly quick market adjustment in the form of conservation: raise prices enough and people start reducing their use and hence demand falls.

#14     Aug 16, 2005
  5. trader99

trader99

#15     Aug 16, 2005