Do you expect another sell-off after earnings?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by RGLD, Jul 23, 2020.

1. RGLD

RGLD

Quarter 4 2018 was one of the worst quarters in history. It happened right after most of the major movers completed their earnings reports.

Nflix beat earnings but tanked 15%
    Apple decided to hide their numbers
    Nvda got caught on the bitcoin train

etc.. etc..

All that happened but the whole market tanked. hard until Jan 2019. Now we have a potential cold war with China, Riots and re-election... So much uncertainty.

2. ET180

ET180

Think it depends also on what happens with the dollar. If it continues to weaken (due to irresponsible fiscal and monetary policy), then I think that will help hold up the market. I posted a question on here about inflation hedges a few days ago.

AKUMATOTENSHI likes this.
  3. RGLD

RGLD

How much did we add to the national debt since we printed 6 trillion from Covid all from the fed? Now the fed owns what? 40% of US debt?

4. Corky5

Corky5

We are clearly selling off on good earnings. I would say yes.

5. RGLD

RGLD

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Market tanked in 2018 mostly on good earnings.

Overnight likes this.
  6. Overnight

Overnight

Do you mean by calendar? Jan 2019 was when companies reported their Q4 2018 earnings, and the market kinda' went up from there?

7. RGLD

RGLD

Oct-Dec 2018. It was right after biggest companies reported Q3 earnings.

upload_2020-7-23_19-24-48.png

November was insane 1,300 point swings. Than Dec the whole thing crashed. You don't remember?

8. Overnight

Overnight

So it had nothing to do with the fed raising interest rates?

9. RGLD

RGLD

They've been doing it. It went from 0-2.25% in 3 years I think? 25 basis points each time.

10. Overnight

Overnight

And yeah, I do remember. Here's some annotation for your chart...

annotated fed chart.png

#10     Jul 23, 2020