Do you ever turn your computer off?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ang_99, Nov 26, 2008.

1. I usually just put it on standby (it's a laptop). It uses very little power and comes back up a lot faster than rebooting. Occasionally, I've got to reboot because Windows entropy takes over and things become slow.

#11     Dec 3, 2008
  2. Usually when I talk about other, newer model, computers

#12     Dec 3, 2008
  3. I turn it off every night and unplug it all. Why?

- its 100% secure from both hackers and lightning induced power surges.
    - it saves power vs on or standby so I'm saving the world
    - it gives everything a 100% reboot each morning so stray alpha particles can't have changed the state of some transistor somewhere resulting in some monumental trading stuff up that isn't my fault or IB's.

If you leave it on and that alpha particle hits though --- it is your fault not IBs. So don't go starting another anti-ib thread!

#13     Dec 3, 2008
  4. Turn on on Sunday night, and turn off on Friday afternoon.

#14     Dec 4, 2008
  5. Cooling then heating then cooling etc from turning off and on repeatedly can shorten the life.

A physical thing that happens to car, computer and space shuttle components alike.

#15     Dec 4, 2008
  6. I gather you never turn off your car or space shuttle either.

That is interesting to know because Senora f9 was complaining about the noise from our parked shuttle the other night, and I exained that it stated quite clearly in the NASA handbook never to turn it off with the key.

Monthly fuel bill is a little high though.

regards
    f9

#16     Dec 4, 2008
  7. lol :D

#17     Dec 4, 2008

8. The great majority of Trading software is designed for Windows.
    Why go through the hassle of trying to get Windows programs to run on a Mac? What benefit would that offer?

BTW Apple announced that they recommend installing security software on your machine. Seems the Mac is not immune.

BTW I have not had 1 BSOD or Virus etc...on Windows XP, all my XP machines run great.

#18     Dec 4, 2008
  9. I think the computer is a lot more likely to be outdated/too slow way before it wears out from heating and cooling. If you leave a computer running 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, it'll use about $150 a year of electricity, maybe a third of that if you keep it off when you're not using it. The savings of about $100 a year in electricity will pay for a cheap new computer every few years.

#19     Dec 4, 2008
  10. wickcity

wickcity

I have a power mac g4 from 2003. i probably turn it off maybe 5 or 6 times a year. usually once every 2 months or so.

#20     Dec 4, 2008