Do you change your contract for next month on Thursday or Friday, or other day?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by MoreYummy, Mar 10, 2010.

1. For whatever reason, I've always found that trading the 'old' contract on rollover day and then switching to the new contract on friday works best for me. The volumes of each should be very comparable tomorrow I believe. On friday, though, March will be dry as a bone :)

#11     Mar 10, 2010
  2. I change to the ES front month contract (June as of tomorrow) on 'Rollover' Day.

- Spydertrader

#12     Mar 10, 2010
  3. pwrtrdr

pwrtrdr

Did you go through a stage where you looked at "too many" markets? For example, the strategy you have works on "indicies", why not look at YM or NQ?

I can hardly follow one market never mind two ! Just wondering...
    Thanks

#13     Mar 11, 2010
  4. Surdo

Surdo

Just trade the month with more volume, not rocket science, if you are holding a position open JUNE!

Most are trading one lots here, so it really does not matter.

#14     Mar 11, 2010
  5. For the morning session, so far, I have total volume higher for the March contract(ES). Close overall though. Maybe the afternoon will show an increase in the June volume over the March.

Either way, I'm not a huge fan of trading on this day, but that's just me.

#15     Mar 11, 2010
  6. olias

olias

Not sure what you're seeing, but I'm showing more volume in the March Emini SP than the June contract today. And like some of the other guys have stated that is usually the case on rollover day. By tomorrow there should be slightly more volume in the June than the March contract.

#16     Mar 11, 2010
  7. As it stands, I stand corrected. I have always switched on front month rollover day, which is today, as a matter of course. The volume for the new contract surges substantially over the previous day and competes with the soon to expire contract month's activity. However, because of this thread and our earlier posts, I looked at the two contracts side by side. You, sir, appear to be correct at the time of this writing, as are the other posters who sided with you. Try not to let it happen again.

#17     Mar 11, 2010
  8. At this time, the volume on march is more than June.

It is wise to look at 2 charts on thursday, since they appears to be somewhat different.

#18     Mar 11, 2010
  9. olias

olias

I'll give you some credit for getting back on and admitting you f'ed up.

:D

#19     Mar 11, 2010
  10. Yes, kudos to Gabfly

:)

#20     Mar 11, 2010