Do you believe you can predict how far a market will go within a given time frame?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gabfly1, Mar 9, 2010.

Do you believe you can predict how far a market will go within a given time frame?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. If you have not yet voted, then please do so.

#11     Mar 10, 2010
  2. I'm not quite sure how to interpret your attachment. Are you predicting a specific price within a prescribed period of time? (EDIT: okay, I see that you are attempting to predict the day's HLC.)

Also, I note that your probability distribution of projected price (or direction, I'm not sure which) has second decimal specificity. Reminds me of the old joke about the definition of a calculator: an instrument that allows you to take two seat-of-the-pants estimates, multiply them, and get accuracy to the 8th decimal point. :D

#12     Mar 10, 2010
  3. achilles28

achilles28

Yes, but not exactly.

It's all relative. A 5 min signal will generate a smaller bounce, than a 1 hr signal.

Also, depends on session volatility. From one day to the next. So it's relative to time frame, and relative to market context for that day. Still, none of it is precise. Just estimates of where it "should" go +/- 30%.

#13     Mar 10, 2010
  4. Of course you can predict. Check CL go to 82.92 this afternoon.

#14     Mar 10, 2010
  5. schizo

schizo

Dream on. :D

BTW what purpose does this thread intend to serve?

#15     Mar 10, 2010
  6. It fills the boredom and satisfies my curiosity about the beliefs of others. It also allows for an exchange of views. Thanks for asking.

#16     Mar 10, 2010
  7. If you could predict "how far a market will go within a given time frame" you could make a ton of money with options.

#17     Mar 10, 2010
  8. Yes

i use 4 techniques to target price and time movement
    individually and/or collectively they are most often 100% correct, however
    the price-time movement is IRREGULAR
    being irregular means i don't expect to be correct 100% - it's a subjective
    trading method, but i Know i'll be correct often enough to be profitable

'predict' is of course an emotive term but essentially every time anyone makes
    a trade, simply by entering that trade they're 'predicting' the direction of the
    market, even tho they may only have a vague idea - or hope of how far that
    market will go within that timeframe

#18     Mar 10, 2010
  9. Handle123

Handle123

Still one cannot predict in the next minute whether your heart will continue to beat, no one can predict price movement.

#19     Mar 10, 2010
    beginner66 likes this.
  10. Cheese

Cheese

Every trade which is entered by a trader is based on a prediction that it will be liquidated at a profit. So logically is there any trader who is not predicting? Of course you can change the semantics and say that you are entering a trade expecting or anticipating or foretelling a successful exit at a profit - its still the same thing.

A market is technical so you can set up a statistical model with extremely high probability that forecasts the direction or large pattern of the day ahead. The question then is, to what degree does this help and inform the player?
    :)

#20     Mar 10, 2010