Do you believe what you read on a messageboard?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketbarometer, Jan 26, 2007.

Do you believe what you read on a messageboard?

1. All of the time

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Most of the time

13 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Some of the time

38 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Rarely and selectively

64 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Never

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. That is funny as hell.

#41     Feb 2, 2007
  2. Just because an idea came fro a message board, that doesn't make it wrong. I'm very thankful (7 digits before tax) for the posters that:

convinced me to take profits on PKS

convinced me to ditch Mirant and buy RRI and AYE instead. I'm also very happy I ignored them and rebougt it at pennies on the dolar after it went bankrupt

I could go on and on. Sure, there are pumpers and bashers galore, but there are exceptions. You need to learn to tell the difference, and validate the ones that seem honest with your on investigation. Add to that a bit of T/A to time entry and exit, and its a reasonable recipe.

#42     Feb 3, 2007
  3. sulli

sulli

I've come across some people in real life (let alone a message board) who claim they trade. But as soon as they open their mouths you can tell that they are full of shit.

One guy (in person) started to pick on me because I told him I've been focused on trading the emini index futures for the past 2 yrs. He said, "ah, everyone wants to trade those these days". Mind you, this was in a social setting with others standing by...

Then he proceded to ask "now tell me, how to much does it cost to trade those?". Obviously he knew the answer, but was trying to belittle me yet again. Of course, you could trade eminis with low margins from your broker, but I surely don't (i.e. 10k acct. equity or more per contract).

Then others in the group started asking him for advice on learning how to trade. (Afterall this guy is a top notch engineer for a Fortune 7 Company and has about 25 yrs on me.)
    After recommending about 20 different indicators (omg?) . He made the claim that he only trades forex through his broker dealer and forex is the only way to go.

Holy Shit, I had a hard time keeping my composure listening to all of this bs. Then he starts giving example trades that he has supposively made. Getting all excited talking about $$$ amounts. AND THEN - Here's the kicker: He slips up and says he WOULD have made this and that, but he's trading on a simulator!

This dipshit was on a simulator! Holy smokes! I was fuming. It made me mad that this fool was trying to belittle me when I'm the one putting my own money on the line, every day! Errr....

Although, it was very very difficult I decided to take the high road and keep my mouth shut. I like to be discrete about my trading anyways.

My point being: There are so many people who spew bull shit right to your face in real life! Message boards have to atleast 1000 times worse.

I see the same characteristics as the guy I described above in so many posters. It's funny, because they don't realize how obvious it is to those who even have an inkling of real life trading.

There are a few jems here and there. You have to sift through the garbage though.

#43     Feb 3, 2007
  4. Just recently emabarked to educating myself in this game since soon a sum of money will fall into my lap. I've been watching stocks in Yahoo portfolios and read their charts since 2003. I know someone will try to tell me what I already know, that is that reading charts in Yahoo portfolios doesn't come close to the kind of experience I'd need. This is my first post and I'll admit I don't understand a fraction of what the people who post here do ...I know my place. I have alot of respect for the kind of knowledge you demonstrate -- I don't even speak your language ...yet.

Getting to the topic of this thread. Currently I'm researching the online brokers and from what I'm reading they all can screw me up to the tune of thousands of dollars. Even IB who seem to get the highest plaudits from most of you ...might. Where Trust is concerned it's possible the competition might contribute to floating a false rumor or two but hey, everyone draws their own line between tentativeness and usable counsul.

cordially,

#44     Feb 4, 2007
  5. ==============
    Sounds like winners except i differ in that i ignore the many predictions;
    but double check my charts on some ET forcasts [probabilities].

And some of the younger/youngest traders ask excellant and timely questions:cool:

#45     Feb 7, 2007