Do you believe what you read on a messageboard?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketbarometer, Jan 26, 2007.

Do you believe what you read on a messageboard?

1. All of the time

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Most of the time

13 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Some of the time

38 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Rarely and selectively

64 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Never

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. I'm here on these boards to learn as well ... and I take everyone's advice with a grain of salt. I scrutinize everything heavily (not just message boards either), and only believe what I logically conclude makes sense. I use multiple sources to confirm information, and do not ever take the advice of just one source. I'll take the time to ask around various places and gather different opinions and just kind of sit on the info I've gleaned for a while, letting my subconscious portion of my mind process it; Eventually I come to some sort of conclusion though :p

I am 20 years old, without a college degree, I work full-time as an IT professional, and have done so for almost 3 full years now ... I, too, hope you reconsider your position, barometer :) Cheers

Gotta start young ....

#31     Jan 28, 2007
  2. "I'll take the time to ask around various places and gather different opinions and just kind of sit on the info I've gleaned for a while, letting my subconscious portion of my mind process it; Eventually I come to some sort of conclusion though"

Probably everyone will say that they have done the same thing. The point would be: when can you trust yourself that you have come to the right conclusion?

Well, you gather a broad base of knowledge and a point will come when something isn't right and bells and whistles will go off (you can't force it) and you act.
    You won't be able to qualify your decision with numbers, it is gut. No one will agree with you, those that do will do so for the wrong reasons, you have no argument, no facts. In hindsight, you still can't reconstruct your decision but you have a winner.

#32     Jan 28, 2007
  3. @nutmeg: I don't trust myself. The decisions I make are almost solely based on the proposition that I have made the least bad decision.

I lead a very skeptical life ..

Some decisions turn out well, others, not so well ... we all learn based off of past screw-ups. If you (in general, not you nutmeg) think you've never screwed up ... prepare, because you're in for a big treat :)

#33     Jan 28, 2007
  4. #34     Jan 29, 2007
  5. #35     Jan 29, 2007
  6. You know a wise man once have stated.....

" Life is too short to learn from your own mistakes, you have to learn from the mistakes of others."

Well, that is after all is why we have history in our high schools as a subject.:D

Learning is the first key to becoming successful. (Anything)
    You know, I personally think everything that you learn will be efficient in some sort of way. Even the movie stuff, learning on how to cut up the coke. You never know what might happen. Or assisting a pregnant lady with her "problem", and you would think Discovery channel is just for entertainment.:eek:

#36     Jan 29, 2007
  7. Posted today on Investors Village message board.

Msg: 4100 of 4176 2/1/2007 11:46:21 AM Recs: 40 Sentiment: Not Disclosed
    By: short squeeze Send PM Profile Ignore Recommend Add To Favorites

IIG
    Given the extraordinary volume of over 11 million shares and the significant decline in the price of IIG in the past 2 weeks, I am writing this one and only post.

First of all, I continue to believe that IIG remains a unique growth company. Their product (which I have had evaluated by many “techies”) remains the “best of the breed” in enabling small businessmen to operate E-commerce websites effectively. Their current sales and marketing through seminars is an extraordinary effective one – although I believe they will expand their product distribution through other channels over time. Their technology is top notch; the recent product offering of “Avail” communications has the potential to increase the earnings power of IIG significantly and will generate recurring revenue and profit. Many other new features are in the development stage.

I believe that IIG can earn (non-gaap) $2.25 a share in calendar 2007 and $3.00-$3.50 in calendar 2008. Thus IIG sells at less than 6x my estimate of earnings for calendar 2008. This valuation is absurd for a company that I believe can grow at 30-35% in sales and 50% in earnings over the next 3-5 years while generating significant cash. I estimate that cash is currently (Dec 2006) in excess of $35 million and can climb by an additional $35-40 million by the end of calendar 2008. This provides significant opportunity to buyback shares and start a meaningful dividend policy.

The bears continue to spread rumors of further AG’s and BBB legal action. How would they know? Unless they have inundated these organizations with false complaints (like the rip off report) or made illegal payments or both. Isn’t it fascinating that the state of Illinois instituted a legal action without any discussion with the company first?

I have used this weakness to add to my position. I now own in excess of 1,720,000 shares for my clients and my own account. I continue to believe that the stock is worth a minimum of 30x 2008 earnings or $90 to 105 in one year’s time (without a short squeeze).

Management has proven to be exceptional having dealt with fraudulent legal attacks on its business model by unfettered government agencies while growing its business significantly.

Having checked with certain large institutional and individual shareholders, as of this morning February 1, 2007, I believe I can account for over 11 million of the 12 ½ million shares outstanding by individuals who are long and continue to believe in IIG. This ignores many other institutional and individual shareholders. Thus the noose around the shorts will eventually tighten – “he who sells what isn’t his’n, must pay it back or go to prison” - Daniel Drew

Sincerely,
    Neal Goldman
    President
    Goldman Capital

#37     Feb 1, 2007
  8. Neal is on crack. IIG is a short. Been there. done that.
    Phantom company learn to get on the internet crap with sparsely attended seminars. ~ stoney

#38     Feb 2, 2007
  9. The guy can account for 11m shares. I can't believe he is posting on a message board. Personally I would have picked a better screen name, something like "monback".

#39     Feb 2, 2007
  10. Or Brokeback!

#40     Feb 2, 2007